true pt. 1 - yechan

**note this is based off of the descendants headcanons I wrote! The setting is in the first movie, but they're relationship (kind of) is based off the second (and third I think) movie

--

The sound of yechan's breath falters when he hears the croon in the woods, his hands planted firmly on his knees in a crouching position; to find where the voice was coming from, and to stay on the lookout for the hungry Brussels Griffin Cross, who always growled at him whenever the boy was near. His hands run through his sweaty black locks, the crisp crunches of the leaves that he steps on accommodating the smooth lullaby he hears in the distance, navigating his way out of the area and finding more of the deep green from the trees, the saltiness of the blue lake that surrounds him.

He can hear the voice getting louder as he takes another step onto the gray foundation sitting in the middle of the lake, his eyes traveling up and down the thick, broken poles that circle the perimeter of the area. A scream leaves his lips when turns his head, looking around one of the poles to find you sitting there in your checkered light blue dress, the exact same look he has washed over your facials as you quickly jump up and back away from the stranger.

Yechan realizes you were the voice that sings to the open when you both stand there in a loud silence, his lips slightly parted so the only thing that could take up the space was his quick breaths. "Were you.. Stalking me?!" Your voice echoes in his ears, your hand over your chest from the sudden jump scare and taking in the solid black clothes he wears, you could only assume the worst.

"No!" yechan head shakes profoundly to hopefully ease you out of your panicked state, his hands out and in front of him to show he wouldn't do anything to harm you. "I-I'm just passing by, I didn't mean to scare you." He looks into your eyes to show his response was genuine, feeling better when your breaths begin to steady, making your way to sit back down on the foundation. "You um.." yechan begins, scratching the back of his head awkwardly, "have an amazing voice, by the way."

"Oh.. thanks," a nervous smile cracks your lips, watching as the boy nods and turns the heel of his boots.

"Sorry to scare you again. Um, see you around?"

"See you," it was your turn to nod, watching as the boy walks away, your eyes going back to the pretty sparkles of the enchanted lake, a small smile stuck on your lips at the compliment you just received.

It became a daily routine for yechan to meet you at the enchanted lake ever since the first encounter, running from his fears (dog) until his feet give up on the boy and leave him helpless in the forest. But thanks to the softness of your singing voice, he's able to calm down and converse in conversation. You learn even though he's from the isle, he's a sweetheart, having an amazing attitude while also caring deeply for the people around him, you included. When you revealed you were stressed out about school one day, yechan made it a point to make you laugh or to crack a smile at the very least. He walked you home despite all the judging eyes, his confidence shining brighter than the sun itself. He was the first friend you made so quickly, and it didn't seem like he would suddenly disappear the next day. No, he was here to stay, and there was no use trying to get rid of him.

"You should really audition with that voice of yours," yechan says after taking a sip of the warm tea you provided, a chuckle leaving your lips in disbelief. The end of the year is coming up, and the school needed someone to sing a solo for a small portion during prom, and yechan hasn't shutted up about it ever since.

"Really?" You question, sounding a bit insecure about this topic. "I dunno, I mean there's so many other pretty voices, why would anyone choose me?"

"Because no one sounds like you," yechan answers calmly, "and if they don't choose you," he moves his hands in circular motions to symbolize Auradon, "someone else will. Everyone isn't stupid, you know." You chuckle at his statement, still feeling a little unsure, but happy to know that you just met your number one biggest supporter.

"Will you audition for anything?" You ask the boy, swiftly changing the subject as you rest your head against the thick, broken poles.

"Yeah."

"What are you going to do?"

"This." Yechan gets up, showing off his.. elegant dance moves. A cackle escapes your lips without a second thought, clapping your hands as your eyes crinkle shut, showcasing your pretty pearly whites. Yechan stops in his tracks when he hears the sound of your laughter, his heart skipping a few beats as his ears redden, growing sensitive to the newfound feelings of awkwardness, and of love. He's never felt like this before, but for some reason his heart just knows, like it gained deja vu for this euphoric moment.

Yechan lets out a bungle chuckle, sitting back down on the warm foundation as he nervously scratches the back of his neck, waiting for your laughs to quiet down, and waiting for his heart to stop fluttering.

"Sorry.." you say after a while, waving your hand and wiping away your tears. "That was really funny." You give a small smile, which turns into a snicker.. before going right back to cracking up again. But this time, yechan has crawled out of his shell, no longer feeling uneasy as he lets out genuine giggles for his silly actions.

From that day forward, yechan felt like something lit itself on fire after your interaction. He felt like he was put under a spell of some sort, willing to throw away his own dignity to make you laugh, showing sides of himself that he didn't even know existed. He felt like an idiot, but it was okay because he was your idiot, right?

A breath heaves through his chest as he finds his way to the auditorium, running just a few minutes late as he finds your figure sitting at the edge of your seat, your hands gripped onto your pants leg. He could tell you were terribly nervous, taking a seat right next to your panicked body as his hand places itself on yours. "Hey.. it's okay," he frowns when your pupils begin to shake, shushing you like a baby. "You're going to do okay. You're going to do amazing, actually," he gently pushes your head onto his shoulder while his free arm hugs your body, his kind words helping you swim back up to the surface of self doubt. You felt as if time moved too fast for you to catch a breath, squeezing your eyes shut.

"W-what if my voice cracks??" You reason, quick stutters leaving your lips as you miss the way yechan's gaze goes soft. He knew you weren't the most confident person, but it did tear away some heartstrings to see you so distressed and anxious. His other hand grabs your hand that runs through your hair, turning your body around so you could look him in the eyes.

"Your voice might crack if you keep thinking like that," his thumbs rub the back of your hand, "so relax, okay? Everything is going to be okay, you know that." His hand lets go of yours to carefully tuck a strand of hair behind your ear, his fingers ghosting your jaw before his thumb comes in contact with your cheek, softly stroking the skin. "Everything's going to be alright," he repeats in a whisper, his hand glued to your cheek, refusing to let go of your warmth.

But the peaceful atmosphere breaks when an adult shouts your name, your head snapping to that direction to find that it was your turn to sing. When you look back at your friend, you see that he was already looking at you, an encouraging smile plastered onto his face as he fist bumps the air. "Go knock them dead, partner!" His smile widen when you return it, leaving yechan's warm presence and going up to the stage with a newfound confidence. It was all because of yechan, you felt so thankful for his existence.

When you returned to your seat, you discovered the boy had vanished, finding nothing but a small box and envelope in his place with your name on it. Curiously, you open it, revealing a handwritten letter.

I knew you'd do so well up there. You worked so hard for it, I'm so proud of you. Do you know how much I love you? I don't know what I'd do without you and vice versa. If you'd like, I'd love for you to become mine. Is that alright? You're so going to get that position, I hope you know that.

A/n: request on tumblr

1.5k words