Chapter 11

A few hours had passed since I woke up, and now Ms. Darby was helping me sit up straight, checking on me to ensure I was okay. As she gently uncovered the blanket from my lower body, revealing the stump where my left leg used to be, I couldn't help but wince at the sight. "It was the only option to save you," she reassured me, her comforting embrace offering solace.

Though I knew I would be getting a prosthetic leg, I understood that life would never be quite the same again. Despite the challenges ahead, I felt immensely grateful for the unwavering support of Ms. Darby, Jack, and the promise of newfound friendship with Raf and Miko, who had recently entered my life.

With no visitors yet, I realized the rift between my father and me, and the absence of any other family except for Evan, who likely hadn't even heard the news. Knowing it was a school day, I anticipated the return of Raf, Jack, and Miko after classes, thanks to a message from Ms. Darby to Jack.

The realization of not being able to walk properly again was a painful one, but I held onto the hope that it was a sacrifice worth making for life itself. Ms. Darby assured me of a path to normalcy with a prosthetic leg, though she warned of the challenging journey ahead. Nevertheless, I found comfort in knowing she, Jack, and my new friends would be by my side every step of the way.

Speaking of friends, I heard someone knock on the door. Ms Darby opened the door and I saw someone run towards me at super speed.

I didn't have time to brace myself for impact as she hugged me tight.

"So glad you're okay!" She said, gripping onto me tighter. I'd recognize that voice anywhere.

"Miko, relax. I don't even think she can breathe by how tight you're hugging her," I heard a boy's voice scold her. Miko laughed and let go.

"Sorry about that," she apologized. I looked behind her and saw the two boys, Rafael and Jack. I smiled as they walked towards me.

When Jack came over to me, I pulled him towards me and hugged him tight.

"Hey, how come I'm not allowed to hug her tight, but she's allowed to hug Jack tight?" Miko complained, probably towards Raf, as he was the one who scolded her earlier.

I laughed and let go.

"I'm so glad you're okay! Do you have any idea how worried I-urh- we were for you? And that night, didn't Ratchet drop you off at your house?" He questioned, pulling a chair and sitting next to me.

Yeah but my father wouldn't open the door. I guess he wasn't home and I didn't have the keys. I wanted to go over to your house, but knew no one would be home and by the time I realized, I was far away from my house and it was dark. That was when I got the message from Miko. I was on the way back to my house, and got kidnapped. I sent that message to Miko while the black van was following me, just in case. Good thing I did.

Jack and Raf went quiet after they understood what I signed.

"What? What'd she say?" Miko asked. Raf quickly explained and her eyes softened with pity.

"The autobots spent the whole day looking for you. Arcee even blamed Ratchet for not dropping you off at home properly. Then when Jack's mom told us that you were alive, but in a coma, Ratchet felt guilty. He was quiet the entire two weeks and wouldn't even speak to me. Optimus was worried and concerned, but glad you were alive. He can't bear any human casualties," Raf explained.

I hung my head and scratched my hair.

I'm so sorry everyone went through all that because of me.

"Nah it's not your fault. We are more angry at the people who did it. Do you know who did it?" Jack asked.

I nodded.