Chapter 18

I woke up the next morning. Somehow, I managed to miss my morning alarm and slept all the way until 12pm. I groaned and got up, even though I didn't want to.

The house seemed quiet though. I went to Jack's room and knocked on his door. To my surprise, I heard a slight snore. Jack was probably still asleep too. Can't blame him, yesterday was exhausting.

I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and went to the kitchen to get myself something to eat. Ms Darby had already left for her shift at the hospital.

I decided to just watch some TV for awhile, since I did not see Smokescreen outside. I wonder if he came five hours ago to pick us up from school.

I turned on the TV and was really happy to see my favorite show going on; Small Wonder. It's a 1980s show, but it is my favorite! It's about this family, and the Dad made an actual robot girl who he wanted to see if she can pass for a real human child. My mother was the one who introduced it to me.

I made myself a bowl of cereal and sat on the couch as the intro played.

I heard footsteps walking down the staircase and felt someone bonk my head. I turned around and saw Jack.

"Small Wonder? Really? You're just as old is my mom," he teased. I just rolled my eyes and slapped his hand.

It's a good show

"Whatever you say," he shrugged and tried to neaten his hair. Emphasis on 'tried'. His hair kept popping back up, when he tried to push it down. I laughed quietly.

"We interrupt this channel with a Breaking News," I heard the TV say. I looked back and groaned. Not even 10 minutes into the show, and-

"In a daring overnight escape, a man managed to break free from the confines of a maximum-security prison, sending shockwaves through law enforcement circles. The daring escape unfolded under the cover of darkness, leaving authorities scrambling to apprehend the fugitive.

Reports indicate that the escapee, identified as Mr John Storm, who was arrested for child and domestic abuse, exploited a vulnerability in the prison's security system, allowing him to slip away undetected. The exact details of the escape remain shrouded in mystery as authorities launch a full-scale investigation into the incident.

Witnesses describe hearing commotion and alarms sounding in the early hours of the morning, followed by the discovery of a breach in the prison perimeter. Surveillance footage captured the fugitive's dramatic escape, showing him scaling a fence and disappearing into the night.

Law enforcement agencies have issued a statewide manhunt for the escaped convict, urging the public to remain vigilant and report any sightings immediately. The fugitive is considered dangerous, and authorities advise against approaching him.

In the wake of the escape, questions have been raised about the security measures in place at the facility and the adequacy of protocols designed to prevent such incidents. Prison officials have vowed to review and strengthen security procedures to prevent future breaches.

As the manhunt intensifies, residents in the surrounding areas are urged to exercise caution and report any suspicious activity to authorities. The escapee's whereabouts remain unknown, leaving a community on edge as law enforcement works tirelessly to bring him to justice."

I dropped my spoon.

"Isn't that your..." Jack trailed off.

Father.

My father.

He escaped prison? My face paled.

I honestly didn't know what to even respond to the news. I just stared at the headline.