Chapter 17

Smokescreen and I sat on the cliff until the sun was down, and the sky turned dark.

Just a few minutes ago, Smokescreen had managed to scan a vehicle he found 'eye catching', which was a red and blue striped white sports car with the number 38 on its sides.

Despite completing the main purpose we were there, Smokescreen wanted to stay to watch the sunset. He found it mesmerizing.

That was one good thing I liked about Jasper; even though it is a really boring town, the sunsets and sunrises are amazing.

But now, it was a quiet and chilly night, with the stars shining brightly.

My heart started to ache as a pained memory formed in my head from when I was 9 years old.

I looked up at the night sky and there were white dots sparkling. My Mom was sitting next to me and the wind was blowing her hair. I tugged on my mom's sleeve.

Mom? Those are called stars, right?

I pointed to the sky.

Mom looked at me and smiled brightly.

"Yes, sweetie. They are stars," Mom rubbed my head. She looked at me with sad eyes and brushed hair strands away from my face. "Erin, Let me tell you something my mommy once told me. Those stars may look small, but they shine so bright and can blind us people. This tells us that even the smallest of things can shine the brightest."

She touched my nose with her finger playfully and I giggled.

"Erin, I want you to do something for me, and promise me you'll do it," she looked at me seriously.

What is it Mom? I signed.

"You see that star up there? Look how it's moving. It's called a Shooting Star. I want you to be just like it," she told me. I didn't understand and looked at her, confused.

"Hm, let me put it to you this way," she took in a deep breath and started singing.

"When the sun goes down, and the lights burn out," she pulled me into a side hug.

"Then it's time for you to shine," she kissed my forehead.

"Brighter than a shooting star, so shine no matter where you are. Fill the darkest night with a brilliant light, cause it's time for you to shine," she sang and I moved to sit on her lap. She put her arms around my neck and we rocked back and forth.

"Brighter than a shooting star, so shine no matter where you are, tonight," she continued singing as she brushed my forehead with her pinky finger.

I felt sleepy and laid back in my mom's chest as she cuddled me close.

She pulled me towards her and she continued singing as I fell asleep.

I didn't even notice the tears running down my cheeks. The song my mother sang that time was Shooting Star by Owl City, one of my favorites because she used to sing it to me all the time.

I didn't get the meaning when I was younger, but now I do. She wants me to shine bright, even though I'm different from the others.

I quickly wiped away my tears and looked up at Smokescreen. He sensed my eyes on him and looked back at me.

"You alright? I think it's time that we head back to base. Ratchet will probably get mad, and I don't want a flying wrench at me on the first day of my job," he joked. I nodded, slightly laughing.

Smokescreen's hand reached out to me and picked me up, and without warning, he jumped from the edge of the cliff. I felt the cool breeze hit my face and the impact when we hit the ground.