33.

Rosalie Gray

With my eyes squinted and my hand over my eyes to shield them, I ran across the wet tarmac. The strong wind made my wet hair swirl around and the leaves on the trees rustle excitedly.

I felt like I was fighting against an invisible wall as the rain pelting the ground flowed along the grooves in the road.

Although there were so many clouds in the dark night sky, I was able to catch a glimpse of the radiant moon.

Where are all the others?

My wet shoes squeaked with every step I took as I approached the two cars that had crashed together a few seconds ago. "Harry" I shouted his name through the whipping wind but he was nowhere to be seen.

It was only when I came to a halt next to the cars that I could hear the song be my Baby by the Ronettes warbling through the rain.

A man in dark-coloured clothes was sitting at the wheel of one of the two cars. His head leaning on the steering wheel as if he was unconscious. I immediately ran in his direction.

"Can you hear me?" I shook his shoulder but he didn't move. Blood was running from his forehead down to his chin. "Niall" I called his name now but I was still completely alone.

"We need an ambulance" I called out this time, without directly addressing anyone. Maybe there was someone else nearby who could help me.

When my gaze fell on the unconscious man again, I took a step back. His eyes were wide open, staring straight into mine. "Can you hear me?" I asked again, but he didn't answer me, he just stared at me.

Breathing heavily, I scrutinised him. "How can I help you?" I asked another question, but again there was no answer. Desperately, I looked around the neighbourhood.

It can't be true that there isn't a single soul around who could help us in any way.

Maybe he has a brain injury and can't talk because of it?

When I tried to turn back to him, I let out a little scream, because he was no longer sitting in the driver's seat, but was standing right in front of me, his eyes still wide open.

"This is your fault," he rattles and grabs me by the shoulders, whereupon I panic and try to free myself from his strong grip.

His fingers dug into my shoulder blades as he repeated the same sentence over and over again.

I pushed him away by his shoulders and tried to lean as far away from him as possible and when he suddenly let go of me, my stomach tightened and my heart pumped adrenaline through every vein as I found myself in free fall, pulled down by the earth's gravity.

As my body collided with the icy cold water, my heart stopped for a moment and I fidgeted in panic, still pressed underwater because the current was so strong that I found it difficult to resurface.

With my heart beating fast, I opened my eyes. It was already light and the clock on my phone told me that it was after eight.

And again I had dreamed of falling off a bridge.

Yawning, I threw back my duvet and got up. After taking a shower, brushing my teeth and putting on something fresh, I trotted downstairs.

"Good morning, little lamb." Niall sits at the table with his teacup in his hand and grins at me.

"Morning" I grumble and sit down next to him, then rest my head on my crossed arms.

"Slept badly?" he asks, amused, and rubs my back for a few seconds.