Chapter Twenty Three

That afternoon, Ingrid and the rest of DSM arrived in Coppenhagen. After they got off of the plane and retrieved their luggage, they met the rest of the Worlds competitors in a sectioned off part of the airport where the riff off was going to take place. The Naan Stops from India, the Reinas de Cantos who were representing Mexico, and the Treblemakers were already there practicing. As Das Sound Machine and the other groups practiced, other groups arrived one by one. Soon all ten teams were present. It was time for the riff off to begin. The first category was 2010's Alternative, followed by Michael Jackson, One Hit Wonders (which included DSM's rendition of Call Me Maybe), then 2020's Jamz, followed by '70's Love Songs, Songs from Soundtracks, Disney Hits (which included the Treblemakers' rendition of Let It Go), followed by Songs About Break Ups. After three hours of singing, the riff off was down to the two finalists, Das Sound Machine and the Chinese team, the Sing Chongs. As the riff off host spun the wheel, Ingrid watched it intently until it landed on the category of Slow Songs from this Century.

"DSM, you're up first" the host announced.

"If I die young, bury me in satin, lay me down on a bed of roses, sink me in the river at dawn, send me away with the words of a love..." Das Sound Machine sang, with Ingrid leading.

"Love I loved the most, I learned to live, half alive, but now you want me one more time.." the Sing Chongs sang.

"Time to begin, isn't it, I get a little bit bigger but then, I'll admit, I'm just going the same as I was, now don't you understand, I'm never changing who I..." Pieter led DSM in the Imagine Dragons hit It's Time.

The Sing Chongs interrupted: "I can hold my breath, I can bite my tongue, I can stay awake for days if that's what you want..."

Ingrid then started DSM on another song, "Want to play with magic, boy you should know what you're falling for, I really won't dare to do this, then I'll be coming after you with a dark horse" Ingrid sang loudly.

Just then, the riff off host hollered, "Stop! Stop, those are entirely the wrong lyrics to Katy Perry's Dark Horse. And secondly, Dark Horse is not even a slow song!" She was staring Ingrid right in the eyes are she said this.

"Das Sound Machine is *clap clap* cut off" the host announced, "The Sing Chongs are the Riff Off Champions!"

"Uhhggg. I can't believe we lost" Kommissar complained.

"Yeah" Pieter agreed, "This is awful."

Ingrid felt terrible, she had just lost the riff off for her team.

"Don't worry guys" Gretel Johnson said trying to encourage the team, "It's just a stupid riff off, who cares. It really only matters if we won Worlds in two days."...