Chapter Twenty Six

That night Ingrid's parents gave her a very intense and lengthy stern talk. Ingrid was grounded for the rest of the time in Coppenhagen. Other than rehearsal and the Worlds competition, she had to stay only in the hotel for the next three days. The next day passed by slow and boringly. After what seemed to be an eternity, it was time for Worlds. Ingrid arrived early with the rest of Das Sound Machine so that they could practice. They did so with much confidence because they had been practicing this routine for nearly a year. Soon all of the teams were there practicing. Ingrid felt more nervous than she'd originally expected. She practiced her routine for about an hour until the audience arrived.

"Welcome to the two-thousand-thirty-four A Capella World Championships!" John announced.

Das Sound Machine was scheduled to perform fourth, after the Treblemakers, England's Voices in Your Head and the Naan Stops. As the Trebles performed Maroon Five's Sugar, Ingrid watched Noah longingly. Soon, it was time for DSM to perform. Ingrid followed her team on stage. Much of the audience clapped and cheered, Ingrid had no idea that DSM was such a crowd favorite. They began their routine with Ingrid doing a roundoff-backhandspring-back tuck across the stage. DSM sang a mashup of Cheerleader by Omi, Uma Thurman by Fall Out Boy and Warriors by Imagine Dragons. The crowd uproariously cheered when the performance was over. DSM then went backstage and the African team hurried on stage. Ingrid watched the next six performances intently. About an hour later, all of the teams had performed and were waiting nervously backstage to hear who won. After what seemed like centuries of waiting, Gail finally announced, "I would like to announced the winners of the 2034 A Capella World Championships! Winning again for the fourteenth consecutive year in a row... Das Sound Machine!"...