Vol-3 Ch-2 The Surprise

As we got off the boat, chatting amiably with one another, our homeroom teacher greeted us.

"I will now start roll call for Class C. When you hear your name, please respond loud and clear."

Our homeroom teacher started taking attendance, clipboard in hand, while simultaneously instructing us to form a line.

Chabashira-sensei wore the same kind of jersey as her students. This atmosphere was more akin to a training camp than summer vacation. Still, not many of the students seemed tense at all.

"Oh, come on! I want my free time already! The sea is right in front of me!" complained a Class D student, standing behind our class line.

I saw Ryūen looking at the happenings suspiciously. I waved at him with a grin. In return, he gave me the finger.

Most of the students wanted to run off onto the sandy beach. Soon enough, a tall teacher stepped onto a prepared white platform.

It was Mashima-sensei, Class A's homeroom teacher. He normally taught English, and was well-known for having a stubborn disposition. At first glance, he could easily be mistaken for one of those bodybuilder types. He was built like a professional wrestler, but was actually quite intelligent. He'd even taught special courses in the past.

"First, I would like to say that I'm happy you've arrived safely. However, it's unfortunate that one of you was unable to participate due to illness."

My condolences to Sakayanagi. It would have been more fun if she was here.

"Oh wow, someone couldn't come on the trip because he was sick?Poor guy," said Ike quietly, so the teachers wouldn't hear.

He certainly had a point. If this were some kind of extravagant summer trip, that'd be one thing, but the first special test was another story altogether. I wondered if that she would regret not coming after hearing me talk about it.

Even in her disability, I think she should've pushed herself and participated.

While Mashima-sensei surveyed the students in silence, I could see that adults in uniform had started setting up some kind of special tent nearby. I also saw a computer and other equipment on a long table. This increasingly business-like setup didn't match the natural splendor around us at all, and many of the students looked perplexed.

Mashima-sensei uttered a few cruel words, as if waiting for the atmosphere to change. "Well then. We shall commence the current academic year's first special test."

Bingo! Finally, what I was waiting for.

"Huh? Special test? What do you mean?"

Almost everyone in all the classes asked some variation on that question. They'd all thought this was just a class trip, only to be hit by this surprise attack. Although, I was proud to see that the members of Class C were calm and composed.

Our summer vacation was a product of the school's good will, but that had been an illusion. They plummeted from relief into stark tension.

"The test commences today, that is 29th July from 12 pm and lasts for one week, concluding on August 5th at 12 pm. This test will determine if you can live on a deserted island together as a group. In addition, I should warn you that this special test is both practical and realistic, designed based on real-world corporate training."

"Living on a deserted island. Does that mean we're not staying on the boat, but the island?"

Some students from Class B and D voiced their obvious concerns.

"You are correct. During the test, you will not be allowed to board the ship without a suitably justifiable reason. It will be necessary for you to fend for yourselves on this island while you are here, from creating a place to sleep to preparing food to eat. Once the test starts, each class will receive two tents, and two flashlights. You will be provided with one box of matches. There is no limit to the amount of sunscreen you can have. Each student will be provided with one toothbrush. As a special case, girls will be allowed to have as many feminine sanitary products as they'd like, without any restrictions. Please ask your respective homeroom teachers for those. That is all."