My Little Cheetah.

I heard ringing in my ears and I opened my eyes slightly, trying to make sense of the situation. I saw Kelsie hover above me, sighing violently. I saw Elora sitting by my side with tears in her eyes.

"Guys, I'm alive." I said, almost like I regretted being so.

"What the fuck happened?" Kelsie asked, falling back on her bum into the floor.

"He came in all drunk, calling out to mom and he came to hunt me down."

"That son of a bitch."

Elora wrapped her little arms around my neck and I felt warmth inside, having her there with me.

"I thought you died!" She screamed in my ear. I pulled away from her, holding my ear shut and I winced. "Thanks for the ear test, El. I can hear better now."

Kel pulled me up on my feet and she stared at my forehead. "He did this?"

"Of course." I always became sarcastic when it came to these situations. I couldn't handle the truth so I hit humor's buttons. It's just easier.

She growled and shook her head, trying to calm herself.

"You need to tell the cops." She said.

"No. I can't. He's got control over them, Kel. If I go to them, they might as well lock me up for speaking about it." I rolled my eyes and headed for the bathroom.

"Elora, why don't you go downstairs and make your sister some breakfast, okay?"

"On it!" She hurried down the stairs and I turned to look at myself in the mirror.

"Cora, I swear to the devil if you don't do something, I will."

"I'm working on it. I want a better life for my little sister too." I sighed, turning on the water and wetting a piece of cloth. I turned it off and I squeezed out the water from the cloth and dabbed it on my wounded forehead.

I could sense Kel's gaze on me and it felt awfully strong. This could either mean two things. She's awfully horny or she really was fucking serious.

Kelsie being serious was equal to parents getting angry. She was intimidating and I loved that about her. She always got her way every time and she practically paved the road for me.

Without her, I swear for the millionth time, I didn't know what I would've done. What I could've been. Where I could've been.

"Stop staring at me, Kel. I'm trying my best."

"Yeah." She leaned on the doorframe and crossed her arms.

"Where's your mommy?"

"She uh..." I bit my lip and I dropped the cloth on the sink, staring elsewhere other than myself or her.

"What did she do?"

"She left."

"What? Why?!" "Have you seen the drunken fuck of a father mine is?"

"So? She just leaves her kids?" "You know she never loved me and El. You know that."

She pursed her lips and looked away, feeling absolutely dejected on my behalf.

"Is that why your daddy was throwing a tantrum?"

"Yep. Anything goes wrong. Blame Cora. She's the cause of his misery." I repeated his words because it was all I could think about.

"Come on, don't do that, babe. You're better than you think you are. Someday you're gonna get the fuck outta here and you're gonna knee him in the balls so bad he ain't gonna have kids anymore. Cool?"

I chuckled and nodded. "Yes. Cool."

I walked into my room again and I picked out an outfit to wear. She grinned at me and nodded in approval. We descended down the stairs to see an already welcoming Elora at the bottom of the stairs.

"Come. Let's eat."

I looked at Kel and we giggled, surprised my little sister was enthusiastic about cooking.

We approached the kitchen and she sat on the stool, pointing at the two plates in front of us. I walked towards the counter and I smiled at her, without hesitation.

"I found mom's recipe and I thought I'd try it!" She exclaimed. I sat down next to her and I tried the delicacy she made. I closed my eyes to savour the sweet pancake in my tongue as it sizzled in my mouth, still hot.

I found a choco chip in it and I grinned at her. "You made choco chip pancakes?"

She nodded, blushing and kept her head low from the pride glowing in her cheeks.

"Yo this is fucking incredible. You're gonna be a chef one day little girl." Kelsie interrupted, with a mouthful of pancakes.

I chuckled and I turned back to her.

"Where's dad?" I asked, not sure why I even gave a single fuck.

"He went to call his friends for work. Something with money."

"Sweetie, it's always money and him." Kelsie interrupted again, pointing her fork at Elora. "Family. Family. You, me, Cora, we are family. Cool?"

"What, you're going Dom Toretto on my little girl now?" I asked, tilting my head at her and raising my eyebrows.

"Oh, she's a kid, she'll catch up."

I scoffed. "El, I thought we could have a picnic by the park. Is that okay?" I asked, looking at her.

"Oh! I wanna go to the playground. Please, Cora. I'll be good. This time I promise I won't be jumping into the lake."

"She jumped into the lake?" Kel asked.

"She's a cheetah. What can I say?" I smirked and ruffled my sister's hair. She blushed again and hopped off her chair.

"I'm gonna get ready! Don't leave without me!" She screamed. I laughed and finished off the rest of the pancakes my beloved sister had made me. It really was the best I ever had. What's better? It was better than mom's.

*****