Chapter Twenty-Two: The Airport

Damian POV: Sunday, April 12th, 2024

I did not sleep last night. At all. Every time I closed my eyes I saw Angel's face. 

She lied to me. Said I would forget what happened yesterday. I remember everything. 

I remember fighting against Joker. I remember throwing a knife at Hoaxer, launching it into her throat. I remember fighting alongside Angel. The worst part is I remember seeing the people I care about floating in the air. Dead. 

Five bodies taunted me with their smiles. 

The first was Drake. 

The second Todd.

The third Grayson.

The fourth Father.

The fifth... the fifth was Angel. 

The moment I saw her lifeless body, something in me snapped. I knew she was alive; she was standing right next to me. Yet, my brain didn't comprehend that, and I instantly went after the easiest person to blame. 

Never in my life have I been so enraged, it was far worse than whenever I lost Grandfather. All I could see was red, and in those moments, I didn't care about honoring Father. I wanted to kill Joker. I wanted to kill Hoaxer. I wanted to kill anyone who would stand in my way of avenging my Angel.

My mind slightly cleared when I saw Angel being attacked by Hoaxer, but immediately after that I lost it again. Only this time around it wasn't only for Angel. It was for everyone that I loved. Everyone that I have come to love and care about through the years. 

I wanted revenge for Gordon, for the fact she couldn't walk because of Joker. I wanted revenge for Todd, who died because of him. I wanted revenge for Drake who was tortured to the point he couldn't remember his own name. I wanted revenge for Grayson, who was controlled by him through a stupid crystal. I wanted revenge for Thomson's parents that were killed by him. 

I wanted to kill him. But Angel stopped me. I almost didn't listen to her. I had to though, she brought me back from doing something we both knew I would regret later. 

And... I think I loved her for that. 

It was a good thing that we were leaving today. Time away from Paris will help me overcome this feeling. Time away from her would be a breath of fresh air. Getting away from this place, from her will be a good thing. 

I was lying to myself. I knew I was. 

"You look like shit, Demon Spawn." Todd throws an arm over my shoulder. I glance at him, his face flickers to the deformed mess it was yesterday. I close my eyes for a second. 

I shrug off his arm then walk towards my luggage. We were currently at the airport. I arrived four hours prior to the flight. I did not want to run into anyone. My mind was already fucked up as is. Many memories and scenes floated about. Angel's words about something she wanted me to remember. 

That was another reason I wanted to avoid her, not only because if I saw her again, I would bring her with me to Gotham, but also because she might not say what I want her to. The same thing I want to tell her, but never will. 

"Damian, what's wrong? You seem quieter than usual." Father walks up to me. He had on his traveling clothes. A black button up and dark gray pants. It was similar to my Black turtleneck and medium gray pants. 

"Nothing is wrong. Just tired. I didn't sleep much last night." 

"Did Demon Spawn just say like two sentences without degrading anyone?" Jason yells from five feet away from where Father and I stand. I don't acknowledge him, instead turning and walking away to seats closer to our sector for the plane. 

"Leave the poor Baby Bird alone, Jason! He already seems ticked off." Drake slaps Todd on the back of the neck. He instantly regrets it when Todd punches him in the stomach in retaliation. 

"When did Pixie say she would bring by breakfast? I'm hungry!" Todd groaned, falling into a chair beside him.

Angel was coming? Here? Now? This was not good.

Looking down at his phone Grayson answered with, "She said she'll be here any second."

As soon as the words left his mouth, Angel came running towards their group. Stopping in front of them, trying to catch her breathe. 

"Where...is...Damian?"  She said between gulps of air, handing them a bag full of baked goods. 

I instantly got up. We board in ten minutes, if I can stall for that long then I can be on the plane before she finds me. 

"I need to tell him something really, really, really important." She caught her breathe now, speaking in her normal tone. She sounded urgent. 

"Well, Little Pixie he is right there." Grayson pointed to where I was sitting five seconds prior, "He was sitting right there."

Angel groans, "I have to find him! This might be the last chance I ever get to see him. I don't even have his number to keep in contact. I need to tell him that I... that I..." She stutters out. 

I never give anyone my number. Not for any reason. 

"That she loves you." Pennyworth says from behind me, startling me. He shouldn't have been able to do that. My guard was down, which was most certainly not okay.

Wait... did he say that she loves me?

"What nonsense are you spewing Pennyworth?" I turn to glare at him.

"I am not 'spewing nonsense' Master Damian, I am telling you what I have observed from the interactions I have witnessed between the both of you. You both love each other, she is too shy to say anything. You are too stubborn to admit it to anyone, including yourself."

I did admit it to myself, which was why I needed to get out of here. 

"I do not have time for meaningless relationships, Pennyworth. Especially not with some heroine from Paris." With that I turn away, walking back towards my chair I previously occupied. Angel should be off now, looking for me. She would likely not look in the place she had already seen. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damian kinda had a bit of a mood swing especially compared to yesterday. He was so sweet then he did a full 180 and avoided her! What a jerk! Anyways.

 He was so sweet then he did a full 180 and avoided her! What a jerk! Anyways