Chapter Forty-Three: No More Shadows

Damian POV: Tuesday, July 22nd, 2024

As the cargo ship cut through the choppy waters toward Paris, tension simmered among us. My gaze swept over the dark expanse, scanning for any signs of trouble. "Stay sharp, everyone," I instructed, my voice low but firm. "We don't know what we're walking into."

Nightwing nodded, his eyes gleaming with determination. "Got it Little D, we'll keep an eye out."

"Yeah, Demon Spawn, we got you covered. Can't have you get your ass handed to you by Joker." Red Hood adds unnecessarily.

The plan was simple yet perilous—intercept one of Joker's shipments bound for Paris and dismantle it before it could spread chaos in the city. Just as we were placed on the ship, the door busted open, revealing Joker and Angel. She was transformed though, something she hadn't done in a very long time.

Where has Tikki been this entire time? In fact, where are all the other Kwami's? Now that I've seen Angel transformed it hits me that we have yet to see the Kwami's for almost as long as Angel has been missing.

"Angel..." I whispered, the name heavy on my tongue, laced with sorrow and longing.

She smirked, a cruel glint in her eyes. "That's cute nickname, but sadly it just doesn't fit anymore. I go by Shadow."

I clenched my jaw, suppressing the surge of emotions threatening to overwhelm me. "You don't have to do this. You were fine at the manor with us, you were getting better."

Her laughter echoed in the cramped space, chilling me to the bone. "I was never ill Damian. I was playing you, all of you. I got what I needed from the time I spent with you all. You told me your plan to sneak onto this very boat, for Batsy over here being the best detective in the world, he sure is lacking when it comes to the people under his roof."

I turned my glare to the person who was to blame for how she was now, "Fix her! Undo whatever you did! Undo it or I'll kill you! I'll kill of your lackies one by one until it's finally just me and you."

"Robin, that's enough. We came here to complete our mission." With that Father though a smoke bomb that masked our presence as everyone lunged to attack.

The clash of metal against metal, the acrobatic maneuvers, and the crackle of electricity filled the air as we fought tooth and nail against our adversaries. Dodging Joker's deadly tricks and Angel, well, Shadow's swift strikes, I focused on bringing an end to this madness.

"Robin!" Red Robin's voice cut through the chaos, drawing my attention to the battle unfolding before us.

With a swift nod, I engaged Shadow in combat, the clash of our weapons echoing in the confined space. She moved with lethal grace, her movements mirroring my own with eerie precision. But I refused to yield, channeling every ounce of training and determination into each strike.

"You fight well, little bird," Shadow taunted, her lips curling into a sinister smile.

I gritted my teeth, pushing back against her relentless assault. "I've fought with you before, Angel. I know all your moves." I will never give her the satisfaction of hearing her 'new' name out loud. She will always be my Angel, no matter what.

As the battle reached its climax, I seized the opportunity to gain the upper hand, disarming her with a swift maneuver. Pinning her to the ground, I met her gaze, determination burning in my eyes.

"It's over, Angel," I declared, my voice ringing with conviction. "Give it up."

She chuckled, defiance gleaming in her eyes. "You may have won this round, Robin. But the shadows never truly fade."