Chapter Thirty-Six: Missing Girl

Clark POV: Sunday, May 17th, 2024

As I sat at my desk in the Daily Planet, my phone buzzed with urgency. A series of messages flooded in from members of the Bruce, Damian, Dick, Jason, Babs, Steph, Duke, Tim, Cass, and even Alfred. Each one more frantic than the last. Bruce never contacted me unless it was absolutely necessary, so I knew this wasn't just any ordinary situation. 

But what could it be? We haven't gotten an alert from off planet or anything. So what could be wrong? 

I read through the messages quickly, absorbing the gravity of the situation. A girl named Marinette Dupain-Cheng, visiting Gotham with her class from Paris, had gone missing. The culprit? The Joker.

My heart sank. The Joker was no ordinary villain. His unpredictable nature made him one of the most dangerous threats in Gotham, and the thought of him having someone as innocent as Marinette in his clutches filled me with dread. 

I had yet to meet the girl, but Jon had. He said she was sweet and a little scary. She was a heroine, Ladybug, one of the two heroes of Paris. The big thing about her was the fact that Jon's best friend, and Bruce's son, Damian, was in love with her. Jon couldn't stop laughing at that for weeks when he got back. 

Speaking of Damian, his messages were filled with panic and desperation, his concern for Marinette palpable even through text. Damian, the usually stoic and composed Robin, was freaking out.

I knew I had to do something. Damian was like family to me and seeing him in such distress was unsettling. I quickly excused myself from the office and found a quiet corner to call him.

"Damian, it's Clark. I got your messages. How can I help?" I spoke calmly, trying to reassure him.

"Clark, Marinette's been taken by the Joker. We have to find her before it's too late!" Damian's voice was strained, his worry evident.

I took a deep breath, trying to remain composed. "We'll find her, Damian. Bruce and the rest of the Batfamily are already on it. We'll do everything we can to bring her back safely."

"But what if we're too late? What if something happens to her?" Damian's voice trembled, his fear raw and unfiltered.

I could hear the anguish in his voice, and my heart went out to him. "Damian, listen to me. We can't let fear consume us. We have to stay focused and work together to find Marinette. She needs us to be strong right now."

"But what if I can't protect her, Clark? What if I fail her?" Damian's voice cracked, his vulnerability shining through.

I could sense his fear of failure, his desperation to keep Marinette safe. "Damian, you're doing everything you can. None of us can predict the outcome, but we have to believe that we can make a difference. Marinette believes in you, and so do I." 

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, as Damian processed my words. Then, with a shaky breath, he spoke again. "I just... I can't lose her, Clark. Not like this." 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I would bring in more supers just to add to the mixture. 

They are so cute!!!!