Chapter Thirty-Two: Second Chance Part 2

Damian POV: Friday, May 1st, 2024

I have yet to be able to speak with Angel all week. It was not because we were never in the same room, or because I didn't know where she was, it was because I could not get the words out of my mouth. 

I have been with her all week, I have attended all of her training classes that she has had with my family, every single tech lesson she has had with Gordon and Drake, I went with he when Koriand'r took her to see the Titans. I followed her every night she snuck out when she thought she was being stealthy. 

The only times I have left her alone were when she was in her room or using the bathroom. I simply could not stay away from her. Today she was going where I most definitely could not follow. Harley Quinn's and Poison Ivy's apartment. Although they were retired from being villains, I still did not trust them. 

I despised the fact that Kyle would bring Angel to their house, especially when she had no idea what to expect from them. 

Tonight, I had nothing planned except for my patrol, I had no close friends that would offer to hand out on a Friday night. I was standing in the kitchen, waiting for Angel to leave. I wanted her to stay, maybe I could catch her before she goes and tell her what to expect, or maybe I would finally say what I need to. 

Before I could get my thoughts together, I find myself in front of Angel's room, my hand ready to knock. Just as I am about to, the door opens and her petite figure crashes into me. She falls to the ground on her rear, a huff of air leaving her. 

"Damian? What in the world are you doing outside my door?" She looks up at me from her position on the floor. 

"I-uh, sorry, I was going to knock before you opened your door." I stuttered. Why did I stutter? I mentally slap myself across the face, and reach a hand out for her to grab. 

She knocks my hand away, before getting herself up on her own. Okay, that backfired a bit. She was clearly still very pissed with me. 

"What do you want, Damian?" She sounded irritated as if I was a nuisance that she was forced to deal with. Well, I made her feel like that once, so I definitely deserved it. 

"I wanted to speak with you." I tuck my hands behind me. 

"Clearly."

"I lied-"

"Yes, repeatedly, I know." She interrupts me with a roll of her eyes. The words were already a struggle to get out and she was making this very much more difficult than it already is. 

"No. Let me finish. I never lied to you when I was in Paris. I have lied to you all week. I never needed to use you, I genuinely enjoyed spending time with you. I was never forced to be around you, I liked it. I started to really like you, to the point I considered courting you. The night we defeated Hoaxer, when I saw my family's mangled bodies floating, I also saw yours. It scared me, and it made me realize that I fell for you. I pushed you away because I was scared that you would make me weak." I ran a hand through my perfectly styled hair, it was a habit I had when I was much younger, a habit I though Grandfather and Mother beat out of me. 

"What are you trying to say Damian? That I made you weak?"

"Yes! You made me weak! You are my weakness! I pushed you away in order to stop myself from falling for you. It didn't work, I still fell. So, I needed to push you away again, harder. That was why I have been such an asshole! That is why I lied to you! I wanted you out of my life so nobody could use you to get to me."

Why doesn't she understand this? Why can she not read between the lines of what I want to tell her?

"I never asked to be in your life Damian, I never wanted to be a weakness for you." No! This was not going how I wanted it to, this was far. far, worse than I could have imagined. 

"I know! I know! But now I want you in my life! I want to be near you! I want to have a normal conversation again! I want us to be... us." I release a breath, "I'm sorry I was such a jerk to you. I'm sorry I pushed you away."

"I forgive you. But that doesn't mean I will forget about it." I never want her to forget what I did to her; I want her to ridicule and remind me about it every day. 

"I don't want you to forget about it. I want you to hold it over my head for the rest of our lives. I want you to constantly remind me of what I did that forced us apart for so long. What I did to keep myself away from the woman I love."

I finally said it. I told her I love her. A feeling in the middle of my chest swells, making me feel warm and happy. 

"W-what did you just say?" she stutters, blushing a bright pink. 

I smile down at her and grab her hands as I pull her closer to me until our faces are mere inches apart, "I love you Marinette Dupain-Cheng. And I hope that after all of my idiotic actions and unforgiving words, you love me too."

"I-"

"Mittens! Time for dinner with the girls!" Kyle interrupts us. Angel jumps away from me, glances at me for a millisecond before pushing past me and running down the hallway. 

She ran away from me.

I told her I loved her, and she ran away. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that was a slight disaster for him, poor Dami.