Chapter Twenty-Three: Nothing Goes According to Plan

Marinette POV: Sunday, April 12th, 2024

Today I was going to tell Dami that I loved him. I had a plan all set. 

First, I would bring breakfast for everyone. Second, I would ask Dami to speak with him alone. Third, I would tell him. Then we'll get married and have three kids and live in a big house and get a pet hamster. 

Maybe that fourth step was a little much into the future. Better to plan it now than be surprised later in life. 

I was sprinting to the airport; I didn't get any sleep last night, so I worked on commissions but then II got lost in my commissions that I didn't see the time. I only had eleven minutes before they would board the plane. 

I quickly made it through all the people waiting in line, I rushed over to where Dick, Jason, and Tim were standing. Why wasn't Dami with them?

"Where... is... Damain?" I was bent over, trying to catch my breath. I quickly handed them the bag of food, "I need to tell him something really, really, really important." I catch my breath. 

"Well, Little Pixie he is right there." Dick points to an empty seat with three suitcases beside it, "He was sitting right there."

I groan, "I have to find him! This might be the last chance I ever get to see him. I don't even have his number to keep in contact. I need to tell him that I... that I..." Love him. 

I look around the space surrounding me, hoping to catch a glimpse of him. I spot him and quickly walk up to him. He was speaking with Alfred, about what I had no idea. I only caught the end of the conversation. 

"I do not have time for meaningless relationships, Pennyworth. Especially not with some heroine from Paris." I thought he liked me? I thought... never mind. It doesn't matter what I thought. I was clearly wrong. A tear rolls down my cheek, I quickly wipe it away. I was not going to cry in the middle of an airport.

I back away quickly, heading towards the small group of brothers.

"How did you defeat Hoaxer?" Tim asks politely. Right, they don't remember. I can't tell them they died. At least not today. 

"R-" I start. 

"We obviously used our amazingly awesome ass kicking skills." Jason interrupts. They tried to. 

"Robin and I actually defeated Hoaxer." Even saying his hero name hurt. 

Jason gasps in mock horror, "You and Demon Spawn had all the fun without us?" 

"You guys were helping everyone get to safety." It wasn't technically a lie. 

"Ugh, I guess that's good enough." I giggle at his dramatics.

"There's Baby Bird!" Tim points to the seat Damian now occupied.

"Now you can go tell him whatever it was that was so important you had to disguise it by bringing us food." Well, I guess that's why Dick was a detective outside of the Nightwing suit. 

I chuckle nervously. If I didn't go over there, they would know something was wrong. If I did go over there, I might burst into tears.

I chose option two. 

I walk over to Damian, my eyes blurring with every step. 

I will not cry. 

I refuse to cry.

"Hey, Damian." I say once I reach him.

"Hello, Angel." Why is he still calling me that? If he doesn't like me, he should just drop the nickname. 

"I just wanted to say that," I love you, but you apparently don't love me back. That you hurt me. That I thought we both liked each other. That I thought we were heading in the right direction. That after last night I finally realized I love you and I wanted to tell you in hopes that you would, I don't know, say it back? "I hope you have a safe flight." 

With that I walk away. My mind reeling with 'what if's' and 'how could he' and many different scenarios that may have happened in that moment. Before I leave, I give a hug to the rest of the Bat Family. 

I will never see them again. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, such a wonderful day for Marinette. Why do I torture her so much? 

Ladybug Marvel style: