Chapter Forty-One: The Long Game

Marinette POV: Monday, July 7th, 2024

I'm sitting in the Batcave, chained to a chair like some kind of criminal. But they don't understand, I'm not the one they should be afraid of. The darkness inside me is a force to be reckoned with, and it's only a matter of time before it breaks free.

I giggle internally, I loved thinking of myself as the darkness, it was so fun.

Alfred and Jason are the only ones here, the rest of the Batfamily's off doing whatever it is they do. But Jason, Jason had a soft spot for the old Marinette. Even gave her a dumb nickname. 

"Jason," I say, my voice low and filled with fear. "Do you ever feel like you're living a lie? Like you're pretending to be someone you're not?"

He looks at me, his eyes searching mine for answers. "What do you mean, Pixie?"

I smile, the darkness lurking just beneath the surface. "I mean, we're not so different, you and I. We both wear masks, hiding our true selves from the world."

He looks at me strangely, "You are struggling, Pixie, I'm not about to go into a deep conversation with you about the masks we wear."

I sigh, "Fine, can I at least go to the bathroom?"

He hesitates, his fingers tapping nervously against his thigh. And then, without warning, he releases the chains, setting me free. I quickly run up to the quickest bathroom and swallow the pill Joker gave to me. It contained a serum that would allow me to seize up at any time. 

I run back out and sit in my chair again, allowing him to think I am willing to be chained up again. He never moves, not to chain me up, not to stand up, he just sits where he is.

We sit in silence for a moment, the tension thick between us. And then, slowly, we start to talk. About our pasts, our fears, our dreams. It's like we're two lost souls, finding solace in each other's darkness.

But our moment of connection is shattered when the rest of the Batfamily returns home, their voices echoing through the cave.

And then, it hits me like a freight train, the darkness consuming me from the inside out. I convulse on the ground, writhing in agony as the darkness threatens to tear me apart. Well, thats what they think I' feeling anyways. In reality I'm laughing on the inside. 

Gosh, for being the best detectives in the world, they sure are gullible. 

Alfred and Jason rush to my side, their voices annoying and so full of worry. They try to contain it, to hold me together. 

They had no idea what they were in for. Nor did they know they just fell for my first trap. 

                                                                                             0000

Two weeks in this gilded cage, surrounded by the trappings of safety and sanity. They think they can contain me, but they have no idea what I'm capable of. Alfred bustles around the kitchen, his ever-present tea pot clinking against its saucer. Jason lounges nearby, a silent sentinel in the shadows. But they don't see the storm raging inside me, the darkness that threatens to consume everything in its path.

I sit at the kitchen table, twirling a lock of hair around my finger, a picture of innocence. Alfred fusses over me, his kind eyes filled with concern. "Are you feeling alright, Miss Marinette? You seem a bit... off today."

I force a smile, batting my eyelashes in mock innocence. "Oh, I'm fine, Alfred. Just a bit tired, that's all."

But inside, I'm seething, the rage bubbling just beneath the surface. I feel it clawing at my insides, begging to be set free.

Suddenly, the darkness descends, a suffocating blanket that threatens to choke the life out of me. I clutch at my chest, gasping for air, as Jason rushes to my side.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" he demands, his voice laced with concern.

I shake my head, tears streaming down my cheeks. "I-I don't know. It's like... like something's trying to take over me."

Jason's brow furrows, his hand hovering uncertainly over my shoulder. "What do you mean, something? Pixie, you need to tell me what's going on."

But I just shake my head, the sobs wracking my body. "I can't... I can't control it. It's like... like I'm not even myself anymore. I have control of my body, but it doesn't feel right, it's not like all the other times, it's different, worse even."

Jason's eyes soften, his hand finally coming to rest on my shoulder in a gesture of comfort. "Hey, it's okay. We'll figure this out together, alright?"

I nod weakly, burying my face in my hands as I silently curse my own weakness. If only they knew the truth, if only they could see the darkness that lurks behind my facade of innocence. 

If they knew the truth, I wouldn't be able to be here, learning every single one of their secrets. 

As the days pass, I learn their secrets, their plans to stop the Joker and his latest scheme. They think they can keep me in the dark, but they underestimate me. I'm always listening, always watching, always one step ahead.

And then, the opportunity presents itself. A moment of weakness, a lapse in their vigilance. Everyone is distracted with their oh so amazing plan, and I seize my chance.

With a quick glance around to make sure no one's watching, I slip out of the house and into the night, the darkness welcoming me like an old friend.

I race across town to an abandoned warehouse, a warehouse that has so many fun memories with a new friend. 

The Joker is waiting for me, his grin twisted and manic in the dim light. "Ah, Shadow, my dear. What brings you to my humble abode?"

I smirk, the darkness inside me bubbling to the surface. "I know they're plans, only took a couple weeks but let's just say it will all be worth it in the end." 

His eyes light up with delight, his laughter echoing through the night. "Well, well, well. Do tell what you have learned my dearest Shadow." And so, I do, I tell him every detail of the Bats plane. 

And together, we disappear into the darkness, ready to unleash chaos upon Gotham once again. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay made it to 41 chapters!