Educational Degree

(Emily's pov)

I looked forward to the defence class-thing that Harry was holding.We didn't have a date to meet yet but I was still excited.

The quote on my mum's grave comforted me,it was nice to know that her and Cedric were looking over me and maybe the Potter's as Lily was my godmother.

I was content...until I saw the poster on the Gryffindor noticeboard.

'BY ORDER OF THE HIGH INQUISITOR OF HOGWARTS

All student organisations, societies, teams, groups and clubs are henceforth disbanded.An organisation, society, team, group or club is hereby definedas a regular meeting of three or more students. Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor(Professor Umbridge).No student organisation, society, team, group or club may exist
without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor.Any student found to have formed, or to belong to, an organisation,society, team, group or club that has not been approved by the High Inquisitor will be expelled.

The above is in accordance with Educational DecreeNumber Twenty-four.

Signed: Dolores Jane Umbridge, High Inquisitor'

"She knows"I whispered and Cece paled.

"She can't"she said but she seemed to be trying to convince herself rather than me.

"I say we start off the Umbridge Revolution with a prank"Fred said from behind me and I smirked.

"Umbridge Revolution?Has a nice ring to it"I said turning around to face them.

"I say we let Umbridge test our products" George said,smirking.And that is how Umbridge had the worst nose bleed imaginable.

Later that day I made my way to potions class and waited patiently outside the classroom.

"'Yeah, Umbridge gave the Slytherin Quidditch team permission to continue playing straightaway, I went to ask her first thing this morning. Well, it was pretty much automatic, I mean, she knows my father really well, he's always popping in and out of the Ministry ... it'll be interesting to see whether Gryffindor are allowed to keep playing, won't it?"Draco was saying boastfully.

"I mean"Draco said, raising his voice a little more, his grey eyes glittering malevolently in Harry and Ron's direction,oh no that wasn't good "if it's a question of influence with the Ministry, I don't think they've got much chance ... from what my father says, they've been looking for an excuse to sack Arthur Weasley for years ... and as for Potter ... my father says it's a matter of time before the Ministry has him carted off to St. Mungo's ... apparently they've got a special ward for people whose brains have been addled by magic"

It all happened fast.Neville lunged towards Draco but Harry,Ron and Cece held him back as he desperately tried to hit Draco.

"That's right.Keep your deranged brother under control"Draco said to Cece and she smiled at him.

She then did something that shocked me.She drew back her hand and punched Draco.She was never,ever violent and I stood there shocked.

"Del Fuego!"Sev shouted,coming from his classroom.

"Oh no professor it's Longbottom and before you say something I would like to point out that my fist hurts because it collided with Malfoy's big,ugly face" she said smiling kindly.

"15 points from Gryffindor, Longbottom"he said,emphasising her name.

Cece was beyond furious as she walked into the classroom and banged her book and cauldron on the table. Viola gave her a sympathetic look, knowing the effect that Draco can have on people,making then want to rip his head off.

"Look Draco didn't mean it"I started but Cece didn't listen.

"Don't you dare defend him"she hissed before she turned to the front,placing a huge smile on her face.

"You will notice"Sev said, in his low, sneering voice''that we have a guest with us today.''

I looked in the corner and I saw Umbridge.Her face was cleaned up and I guess she found out how to stop the nose bleed.Just what I needed, Umbridge.

"We are continuing with our Strengthening Solution today. You will find your mixtures as you left them last lesson,if correctly made they should have matured well over the weekend instructions-" he waved his wand again"-on the board. Carry on.''

I sighed before starting on the potion that we had to do separately.Viola started hers but it wasn't very good as honestly she sucked at potions.Cece just stared at hers,cradling her hand which was slightly bruised.

"Well, the class seem fairly advanced for their level"Umbridge said briskly to Sev's back. ''Though I would question whether it is advisable to teach them a potion like the Strengthening Solution. I think the Ministry would prefer it if that was removed from the syllabus.''

Sev turned around slowly and gave her one of his 'I'm killing you with my eyes' looks which made Cece chuckle lightly and I joined in.

"Now ... how long have you been teaching at Hogwarts?" Umbridge asked, her quill poised over her clipboard.

"Fourteen years"Sev replied His expression was unfathomable.

"You applied first for the Defence Against the Dark Arts post, I believe?'" Professor Umbridge asked him.

"Yes"said Sev quietly.He wasn't embarrassed,he was seething and trust me you didn't want Sev to speak quietly.

''But you were unsuccessful?"

''Obviously.''

''And you have applied regularly for the Defence Against the Dark Arts post since you first joined the school, I believe?''She asked.Well I never knew that,you learn something new everyday.

"Yes"

''Do you have any idea why Dumbledore has consistently refused to appoint you?"asked Umbridge.

''I suggest you ask him,''Sev said jerkily.

"Oh, I shall"said Professor Umbridge,with a sweet smile.

''I suppose this is relevant?"Sev asked, his black eyes narrowed.

"Oh yes"said Professor Umbridge, ''yes, the Ministry wants a thorough understanding of teacher's-er-backgrounds.''

"I could tell you all about his background professor"I offered smiling.

"It's fine.I read the file"she said stiffly, her smile over large.

"Then why are you asking these questions?"I asked and she ignored me.Sev glared at me and I rolled my eyes at him.

For once Divination was fun. Trelawney was over-emotional all of the class and pretty much just muttered about 'that foul woman' who deemed her unfit to teach.I was guessing that the woman was Umbridge but that's only a guess.

"Emily,Sirius is going to be in the fire tonight" Harry said to me as I was in the common room,watching Fred and George's display.

"And?"I asked,not looking at him.

"He wants to talk to you"Harry explained and I rolled my eyes.

"He didn't find the need to talk to me a couple of weeks ago,so why now?"I snapped irritably and Harry looked shocked.

"I-I'm sorry we didn't tell you"he stuttered.

"Look,I want to talk to him alone after you are done"I said before getting up and going to my dorm,where I did my homework and then walked down as Fred,George and Lee came up.

"Where you going?"George asked,eying my odd pyjamas.

"I left my quill downstairs"I said softly and then walked down to the common room.

I stood quietly as dad talked to the trio and then they stood up.

"We're done Emily"Ron said and I smiled at him before walking forward and kneeling down as they left.

"Hi"he said grinning and I smiled softly back.

"Hey.Eh...Sev told me about...eh Voldemort coming after me"I said and the grin disappeared from his face.

"Emily,I'm sorry I didn't tell you. You're too young"he said and I sighed lightly but smiled reassuringly at him.

"It's fine,dad.I'm okay.The old hag is annoying me though"I said and dad looked at my hand.

"Show me"he said and I put out my hand where 'I must not tell lies' was still clearly seen.

"I'm going to kill her,I'm going to-"but he didn't get to finish because he disappeared.

A hand had appeared amongst the flames, groping as though to catch hold of something; a stubby, short-fingered hand covered in ugly old-fashioned rings,Umbridge.

I gasped before running up the stairs but I bumped into someone.

"George!"I gasped,falling back.

"Took you a long time to get your quill. Where is it?"he asked and I looked down at my empty hand.

"I...eh...I was talking to dad"I whispered and he nodded.

"Why didn't you just tell me that?"he asked,running a hand through his orange hair.

"Lee was there"I explained.

"I was worried.We best go to bed"he said before making his way upstairs. Okay that so wasn't weird!

---------------------------------------------A/N 100 fans!Wow that is so amazing and I would just like to thank you all.It really means so much to me.Thanks to 'whitewingw','jessssx3', 'Weeping_Cherubs' and '3rdEcho' for fanning.