21 - tiny room

Since the last date they'd been on, they hadn't done much coupley stuff together. With the volunteering and the rumours going around, it wasn't exactly the best of times to go on dates. But Cole had a brilliant idea.

Jay had mentioned the new Star Farer movie ages ago. Cole had, at the time, assumed he didn't want to see it because of the whole Bryce thing but since he saw Jay was so interested in seeing it, he thought why not get tickets for them? However, Cole had never seen a Star Farer movie in his life until he briefly watched them with Jay and Bryce but, even then, he didn't pay much attention.

It was now 10:19pm. They both decided to go to the last screening in hopes that there would be no paparazzi or people spying on them. The movie theatre seemed much quieter in the evenings.

They were just in luck. There were only a few other people around who didn't seem to be interested in either of them so it would be the perfect night.

Once they checked in and found out what screen they had to go to, they wandered over to the snack desk to grab popcorn.

"What flavour do you want?" Cole asks, turning to his rather excited boyfriend.

"Whichever you want," he grins, "you're paying."

"Right but I'm treating you tonight," Cole replies, "So it's your choice."

"Which do you prefer?"

"Whichever you prefer."

"You aren't helping," Jay giggles.

Cole stares at his boyfriend lovingly for a moment. Ever since his mother had taken him to the cinema for the first time when he was 7, he'd adored toffee popcorn. There was something about the sweetness and the crunch of it that was just so satisfying.

He turns to the cashier, "can we get a large bucket of sweet and salty popcorn please?"

Jay glances up at the taller boy with a smile.

Jay's favourite flavour.

As the cashier fills their requested bucket, Cole turns to Jay with a grin.

"I hope this movie is good," he says, watching as Jay looks over at the many different slushy flavours.

Jay grins, "I've seen the trailer and it looks great!"

The cashier places the popcorn on the counter and begins clicking away at buttons on the cash register. Jay continues looking at the various snacks beside the counter, taking in the fresh aroma of the tasty popcorn Cole had just ordered.

"Is there anything else I can get you?" the cashier asks, glancing up with a brief smile.

Cole nods, "Can I get two mixed ordinary slushys as well please?"

While waiting for the cashier to finish making their drinks, a smile crept up on Jay's face. Cole could tell he was trying to hide it but decides to pretend not to notice.

Cole wasn't much older than the lightning ninja. Jay liked to act mature around the team but when he was around his boyfriend, it felt the complete opposite. Cole enjoyed moments where Jay felt like he could be himself, especially right now. He may have tried to contain his excitement to see a children's movie but it was very obvious to someone who was pretty used to it by now.

It didn't bother him at all.

"Is that all I can get for you two today?" the cashier asks.

Cole glances at Jay for a brief moment, who nods.

"Yes, thanks."

"That'll be £7.49."

The earth ninja turns to his boyfriend, who was once again glancing at all the snacks.