Chapter Thirty-Four: Gibbs Is Back!

[LATER]

"Come on, don't tell me you don't eavesdrop, Cynthia. Every director's assistant eavesdrops." Tony states.

"He's coming. He's coming." Ziva announces.

"Hey, Gibbs. Just visiting the neighborhood or... taking your desk back?" Tony asks as Gibbs goes to sit at Rose's desk.

"That's... my desk but okay." Rose mutters. Tony pulls everyone aside. Gibbs gets a call from Tobias. Jen comes in to tell them that Gibbs is back for temporary assignment. They begin talking about the Paulson case.

"The Paulson case." Jen states.

"Paulson?" Ziva asks.

"Petty Officer Derrick Paulson: knocked over a bank, killed two of his accomplices, money was never found." Tony states.

"Paulson's prison cell. I want to see what was in it." Gibbs tells Tobias, "She'll be fine, Tobias. Paulson isn't after her, or Rosie." Gibbs headed downstairs to Abby's lab. They watch him from the video feed of Abby's lab.

"Unless the four of you have any other suggestions." Gibbs states and Tony looks at the group.

"How did he..." Tony asks.

"He's my father. He knows everything." Rose states and Tony presses the button to talk to Abby's lab.

"Uh... hey..." Tony says and anxiously laughs, "We were, we were just, uh, eavesdropping like little girls. But we do have suggestions."

"Prison records show that only one person ever came to visit Paulson in jail." Ziva explains.

"Mickey Stokes, 72." Rose states.

"Former Navy Sailor." Tim continues.

"And since Paulson has no family, we should assume that he'll try to contact Mickey." Ziva explains.

"And I already have an address." Tony states.

"Tony, Ziva, you're with me. Rose, McGee stay here, help Abby." Gibbs orders.

"Help... Abby." Tony says at the same time, "process Paulson's belongings."

"And gargle this. Before the rest of us go snow-blind." Gibbs states. Tim and Rose look at each other.

"How did he..." Tim mutters.

"Dad knows everything." Rose replies.

[Later - Abby's Lab]

"Paulson could be after any one of a half dozen witnesses. I've never seen a convicted felon file so many appeals. It's an abuse of the system." Michelle states.

"We're all entitled to our day in court." Abby comments.

"Not according to Agent Gibbs. I've been going over his case files. He seems to prefer a more biblical approach to things." Michelle explains.

"It's how he was trained. When Gibbs was being trained, it was okay to beat some sense into the suspect to get better results." Rose explains.

"If you ask me, the agency's better off without him." Michelle comments.

"Michelle, that's still my father you're talking about." Rose states. Abby slams the evidence on the table.

"Oh." Michelle squeaks.

"I like you, Michelle, so I'm just going to pretend like you didn't say that. NCIS is lucky to have Gibbs back." Abby states.

"Except he's not staying." Michelle squeaks out.