Chapter 18

What I need from you is understanding
How can we communicate
If you don't hear what I say
What I need from you is understanding
So simple as one, two, three
Understanding is what we need
Understanding~Xscape

Jayden's POV

"Mother, father? What are you guys doing here?" I ask as I walk downstairs to see my parents at the table.

"Why, we live here." my mom says.

"I know that, but I thought you guys were going to be gone for a week."

"We were, but business went faster than we expected." my dad sips his coffee.

"So Jayden, how's Amber?" my mom looks at me.

"What do you mean?" I sit down to eat breakfast.

"Haven't you been spending time with her?" my dad looks at me.

"No." I shake my head.

"And why not?" he raises an eyebrow.

"I just didn't. Plus it's not like she's my girlfriend."

"And why isn't she?"

"I didn't ask her to be my girlfriend."

"Well ask her. Tonight." he takes another sip of coffee.

"I don't think she likes me." I lie.

"Why do you say that?" my mom looks at me.

"I just have a feeling."

"Well push that feeling aside, and ask her. Amber is a nice, pretty girl. Not to mention her dad's my friend. You two are perfect for each other." he explains.

"But, I don't like her like that. We only been on one date." I look at him.

"What did you just say?" he stands up.

"Nothing."

"No I'm sure you said something." he walks behind me.

"Dear, calm down." my mom tries to soothe him.

I place my fork on the table. Soon I feel a punch to the left side of my face. My head hits the edge of the table and I feel my hair being pulled.

"You do what I tell you to do. I don't give a damn if you like her or not. You will ask her to be your girlfriend and next time I tell you to do something, do it. Am I understood?"

"Yes."

"I can't hear you." he punches me in my stomach.

"Yes!" I shout.

"Good." he lets go of my hair.

I cough a lot before my breathing turns normal. I can already feel the bruise that is forming where my dad just punched me in the face.

"Honey, finish your breakfast." my mom calls him as he begins to walk upstairs.

"I don't want it."

"See what you did? Now he's mad and I'm the one who's going to have to deal with it. Finish your food then go to school." she goes up after him.

"Sweetie, are you ok?" I hear Mrs. Waits come out of the kitchen.

"I'll be fine." I take my plate to the kitchen.

"Here. Be careful. I love you." she hands me an ice pack.

"Thanks, I love you too." I hug her.

I get into my Lexus and drive to school. At a stop light, I look at my face in the rearview mirror. I can see the purple color beginning to show. I press the ice on my face and reach school.