Chapter 29

This is for my people
Who just lost somebody
Your best freind, your baby, your man, or your lady
Lift your hands way up high
Cause we will never say bye
Mama, daddy, sister, brother, friends, and cousins
This is for my people who lost their grandmother
Lift your hands to the sky
Cause we will never say bye
Bye, Bye~Mariah Carey

Evangeline's POV

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust..." the preacher says.

Today is my mama's funeral. Its been five days since she died. I am sitting next to my daddy, leaning on him. Jayden is next to me and I'm holding his hand. The funeral is soon over and we go to the community center to eat.

"Daddy, what do you want?" I offer to get him his plate.

"It's fine cupcake, I can get it." he kisses my forehead.

"Ok." I go to the line.

I get my food and I go sit down. Soon, my daddy, Robin, Angie, Peanut, Pookie, Tay Tay, and Jayden sit where I'm sitting. The rest of my family is already sitting here.

"Remember when Savannah, made that whole Thanksgiving meal by herself. We all offered to help her with it, but she denied and she pulled it off." my aunt Sahara speaks.

"Yeah, everything but the cranberry sauce was homemade." I smile at the memory.

"It took her a two and a half days to cook everything." my daddy adds.

"I remember when she made that huge five layered cake for Samuel's tenth birthday." uncle Rick says.

"Yeah, Samuel bragged about that cake for months. Well, until she made my six layered cake, but then he bragged about my cake." I smile.

We continue to talk as we eat. Reminiscing about all the good times we shared. And noticing how both my mama and my brother affected so many people's lives, makes me so happy. After we eat all my family goes back to my house.

"So when are y'all leaving?" I ask my aunt.

"Well I have to take the kids back to school soon so, maybe in three days." she says.

"Bandit, come here boy." I call him.

He comes running and I pick him up. I put his leash on and King and Queen come walk him with me. After Bandit is done, I decide to take the kids for ice cream. I drop Bandit off at home.

"Mommy, can Cupcake take us for ice cream?" Queen asks.

"Yes she may."

"Thank you mommy!" King and Queen hug their mama.

I call Angie and she comes and picks us up. We drive to Ice Cream Cold and I let the kids pick what they want. Angie of course gets some too and we sit down in a booth while eating our ice cream.

"When do you have to go back to work?" Angie licks her red velvet cake ice cream.

"Sunday. I go back to school tomorrow." I explain.

"You need to."

"Why?"

"I can't say what I want, cause the kids are here." she says.

"Queen, King go in those two seats." I point to a table that's not too far away.

"Okay Cupcake." King gets up.

"So what's going on?" I ask Angie.

"Well, ever since there's been talk of the Upton school kids coming to our school and Capital, hoes been talking about yo man."