042

WONDERING !
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅ ⋯ ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅ ˓ 𑁍ࠜೄ
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 FORTY-TWO*: ·. .·: *

   Millie held her breath as the grounder put most of his weight on her shoulder.

   The boy's head lolled back and forth; his feet dragged beneath him as Millie pulled him out and away from the cage. She grits her teeth, eyeing Bellamy as he spoke closely with another grounder girl who was much more conscious than the boy was. Millie pats his cheek a few times, forcing him to open his eyes and stand on his own. She didn't bother speaking to him, he wouldn't understand her language anyways.

   She moved to the next cage, rattling the key inside the lock quickly while the caged grounder stared at her curiously. They all worse matching scars, sporting a tiny amount of clothing that turned their skin blue from how cold it was in the room. When she reached into the cage to pull him out like the rest, the boy kicked at her shoulder with a grunt, jerking her back and away from him. He was weak and she hardly felt the kick at all, but nonetheless moved out of his way. He shimmied himself out of the cage, sending a narrow look in her direction that sent a shiver down her spine.

   Millie shakes her head, knocking herself out of it as she moved.

   Bellamy, who was also getting grounders out of the cages, kept a close eye on Millie. Though the girl never noticed, remaining silent the entire trip through the vents, again, and into the room. The blonde girl didn't even flinch as the grounders began banging on the cages and screaming profusely, only sending Bellamy a look as she lifted yet another grounder out of the cage. Had already been staring at her, he instantly turned to echo.

   They were going to draw too much attention.

   The girl shouts something over the noise in grounder language, much of which Millie ignores. She's standing next to Bellamy now, taking a moment with her hands on her hips to breathe. The woman turns to them, hardly sparing Millie a glance.

   "Okay, how do we do this?"

   Bellamy pauses, pulling Millie by her elbow closer to him and the grounder girl so she could hear. "There's an army outside going for the main door. When they get it open, all hell will break loose. That is the signal for my friends to come here, and then-"

   Millie scrunches her nose as a loud, piercing screech echos over the intercom, silencing the grounders once again. "My fellow citizens, this is your president speaking. I have news to share with you that will change all of our lives forever. For 97 years, Mount Weather has been our home. It's kept us alive, but it has also held us captive. Most of us have made peace with what we've had to do to survive. We've done these things for one reason... so that our people could someday return to the ground. That day is today."

   It was muffled and the man kept breaking out, and Millie's not sure if she's missed something, but that was not the President.

   "He's going public," Bellamy breathes, Millie can feel her insides begin to churn.

   "Before my friend Lorelei Tsing was murdered by the outsiders still at large in this mountain, she found a cure. It was in their bone marrow." The man continues. The blonde girl swallows, her mind flashing back to the horrific images on the files she stole.

   Bellamy shoves his key into the woman's hand, "Here. I'll be back."

   Millie whips her head around to look at him, "where the hell are you going?"

   His eyes flicker between her and the girl, Millie could see a storm swirling around in his head. "He's trying to get his people to turn on each other. They'll find my friends. We have to bring them here now. I'll send them in groups. You get your people ready to go, but you wait for me to come back, do you understand?"