19.

Au'jaeuh Johnson
________

It's been three weeks since I been in Baltimore. To be honest, it's not bad at all. It don't even feel like a punishment because I'm actually enjoying myself.

Aunt Glenn normally be doing too much, but she's not. She's giving me my space and not overstepping boundaries.

She hasn't mad me mad or vice versa.

I've been exploring the streets of Baltimore, which I probably shouldn't. Baltimore is dangerous, but we're in the suburbs.

Kinda.

Too many people have been noticing me, but they haven't did nothing crazy. I met a girl, Jahrya who lives two blocks down, and I been talking to her.

Call me friendly, but I been with her everyday since meeting her. I don't have no friends here, so she's been keeping me accompanied.

One thing that I did learn in these weeks is that it's a lot of gays here. She happens to be one of them.

It's so many of them, at least on this block. It's funny because they all know each other.

They're friends.

I met her at a wing spot, and she asked for my number. She approached me in a soft spoken manner, which was good.

"Oh, so you know what you doing?" Aunt Glenn asked as I seasoned the chicken

"Yes"

"Angel be having you in the kitchen?" she asked causing me to nod

"Some times, not all the time. If I don't want to, she don't make me but I know how to cook"

"That's good, every little girl should know how to cook. Being independent is very vital, you blessed"

"Thank you" I said feeling good about her comment

"How long you been knowing how to cook?" her accent rolled off her tongue strong

I don't know who's worse my momma or her.

"Since I was ten, but it wasn't big serious meals" she laughed a little while digging under the cabinet for a pot

"So when you started cooking big serious meals?"

"Thirteen, it ain't been that long but I'm still learning some stuff" I said before she hummed and nodded

"You know how to make rice?"

"Yes"

"You wanna make the rice?" I nodded my head before she moved on to the vegetables

After another two hours passed by we finished cooking. I ate just a little bit before washing my dish and putting it away.

Dinner was good.

"I just finished eating" I told my momma over the FaceTime call, "It wasn't a lot because my stomach cramping"

My cycle is on and it's killing me.

"Ask for a pain pill or something"

"I had one before eating, it just didn't kick in yet. What did y'all do today?" I asked while watching her maneuver around

"I took the twins to some jumping place with Beela. So, they knocked, they wore out. Beela been asking about you too"

"She called me, she coming to get me?"

"She want to, but she's not. I told you she mad cause nobody told her you was leaving. She said you could've came with her"

"I could've" I said agreeing with aunt Beela