XI

XI

Saturday 17th March 2007
11:13am

My vision is blurred. I can't make anything out for twenty more seconds. But when I do, I am fixed in a white, plain room. It looked like a medical room and I was lying in a really uncomfortable bed. There was a wire connected to my arm, leading to a machine to the right of it. My heartbeat could be heard beeping on another machine.

It takes another minute before I decipher that I am in one of the medical suites in the HQ. Why was I here?

The explosion floods back into my thoughts and I stop tensing, leaning back again. They would never send an agent to a hospital in fears of the doctors being concerned and contacting police. So, Flynn constructed simply a mini-hospital in the HQ. He hired some secretive doctors and it was created.

The door swings open and Flynn himself steps inside. He seems very relieved to see that I'm awake. He takes a plastic chair from the side and brings it beside my bed, sitting.

"What day is it?" I question, noticing that it was bright outside. My eyes were nearly shut, still reacting to the light of the room.

"Saturday. You've been unconscious for two days, that's why I'm pleased to see that you're awake. I was worried." Flynn explains and I nod. Two days. That's the longest I'd ever been out.

"The explosion. What caused it?" I ask, concerned.

"I'm sorry to tell you this but we're still not sure. There are agents investigating the incident but right now, it just seems like an accident by one of our own." He tells me and I sigh.

"Am I injured?" I hesitantly clue and his lips purse together. His expression and reaction to my question made me know that I was injured instantly.

"You may want to look at your legs." He confesses and I feel wary.

"Jesus." I say before moving the crisp duvet from my body, pushing it down. My body had a hospital gown on it so my legs were visible. I gasped when I had a better look of them.

Scars. Scars all over them. They were definitely burn scars, varying in deepness. Very few were still sore, I found out as I tapped each one. One or two had been stitched, obviously the skin had torn open.

"A lot of them will heal but some may not." Flynn speaks up. I gaze at his face and his eyes looked sad.

"I'm not too bothered. They're only scars." I throw the duvet back over my body. It's true that I didn't like them but I would just have to deal with them, there was nothing I could do about it now.

"I better leave." He stands up. "I'm happy to see that you're okay, apart from your legs of course. I want you to rest up. You're staying here until Monday but you may need longer -it depends on your condition."

"Okay, bye." I tell him before turning my head to gaze out of the window directly to the left of the bed. The sky was so vibrant, no clouds viewable.

I have a few minutes to wallow in misery before the door opens yet again.

"Hey, how's it going?" Chris steps inside, closing the door behind him lightly. I smile, widely, from happiness of seeing my friend again.

"It's going okay, Chris. Thanks for visiting me." I tell him sincerely as he sits in the same seat that Flynn had sat previously.

"Wow. Why are you so genuine all of a sudden? Don't you dare turn soft on me now, Patience." Chris playfully remarks and I smirk.

"Sorry. I just had a bit of a scare when the bomb exploded. I'm happy that I didn't die, not that my life is really important around here." I confess and he nods understandingly.