XXXII

XXXII

Friday 6th April 2007
11:02am

The week beginning Monday 2nd April was quite the average one, nothing extraordinary to come from it.

Sunday and Monday were spent in the exact same way as Saturday; just walking the perimeter and spending my breaks in the hall. It was boring but I couldn't admit to that. It was my job; I was expected to do these kinds of things.

On Tuesday, Ashton was yet again trained by me and he seemed to have potential. I particularly noticed the way that his muscles would flex whenever he did an assault move. For the first time, I felt like I had competition which made me go to the gym almost straight afterwards. Though, I think it was friendly competition.

Wednesday was the day that Flynn had a meeting with all of us during one of our many breaks in the hall. The whole hall wasn't filled due to the small number of agents left in the HQ, the majority being in America.

Flynn began by telling us that he appreciated our work before informing us that he would be leaving to America that night, leaving us to defend the HQ independently. I noticed that he appeared quite abnormally shaken up but I merely shrugged any suspicions away.

So, Flynn was gone on Thursday which felt strange. Harry had kept to himself for the previous days, not bothering me. I hadn't really spoken to him. Ashton had been my only form of communication and I spent the rest of my day training with him. He was getting better and better. I couldn't help but to compare him to Noah, it being evident that Ashton was much better. Noah was awful at his first few tries whilst Ashton was excelling already. However, I wasn't too sure why I was thinking about them both in comparison.

Today was Friday and I was happy, at first, that it was nearly the weekend but then I was reminded that I couldn't be absent at weekends any more. That altered my mood enormously.

I was now sat with Harry at a table in the hall. It was strange but we were actually coping in each other's company. We didn't know anybody else. Well, I knew Ashton but he wasn't around.

We were both sitting in silence but I preferred it over the sound of both of us arguing.

Boom.

Suddenly, a loud noise filled the HQ and I briskly stood up in reaction to it.

"What the hell was that?" Harry mutters in shock, standing up after me.

"A bomb, I think. Shit, this is bad." I comment before nodding to Harry, he nods in return and we both move to the exit of the hall.

"Where did it come from?" Harry whispers to me, his gun out prepared. I do the same as we enter the corridor.

"I think it came from the gym. Was anybody in the gym?" I whisper in reply and Harry shrugs as an answer.

"I have no idea."

We carry on tiptoeing to the gym before we hear immediate steps behind us. I turn briskly in panic before realising that it was only Ashton. A sigh of relief escapes the both of us.

"Hey, Patience, what's going -" He begins.

"Shhhh." Harry and I both silence him in unison. Ashton looked puzzled.

"Just go to the hall and make sure everybody is safe." I mumble to him and he nods, pacing away.

"Who is the hell is he?" Harry questions in a low audacity, he looks at me with a raised eyebrow as we were nearing the gym.

"Seriously, Harry, a bomb has went off somewhere in the HQ that we need to be protecting, and you're asking me that." I reply in a hushed tone and he rolls his eyes.

I take one look at the gym and gasp. It was in absolute ruins. Unbelievable. The whole outer bricks had disappeared, letting daylight flood into the room.

"Woah, Harry, this is -" I begin but I am interrupted by sudden loud footsteps and a painful groan from Harry.

I rapidly turn to view Harry being held captive by a man with auburn hair and deep, blue eyes. The man had a facial expression of fury and I immediately linked him to the bombing.

A gasp leaves me when I noticed the man's hand was holding a gun, which was pointed right into the side of Harry's skull. He was at gunpoint and I didn't know how to react.

Harry reacted calmly, just staring directly towards my eyes with his grassy ones. He looked a mixture between surprised and defeated.

One more second passes before I hold one of my pistols towards the strange man and scowl towards him. I would usually shoot enemies instantly, regardless of what they had to say, but something was halting me from doing so.

"Oh, you don't want to shoot me." The male speaks up and his voice is a higher octave than I expected. He glares towards me before pushing the gun forcefully further against Harry's head. I turn furious. Harry was unable to do anything and I hated seeing him that way.

"I won't hesitate in shooting you unless you let him go." I speak up and my words are calm and fluent, which I was hoping for.

"You would be making a mistake, darling. I have information that you need, that Flynn needs. He would be gutted if he knew that one agent caused him to not be successful. And for your information, I will not hesitate to shoot this pathetic agent right now so stop with your little bullshit act." He argues to me and I am surprised by his northern English accent.

Suddenly, this all felt real. This was not one of those games that would pop up with 'game over' after you had failed and then give you another chance. I couldn't make a bad decision now. This was life or death; there were still a curiosity of Harry that I had. Maybe he had a family who loved him. Would I be the one to take him away from that? No, that couldn't happen. I wouldn't let it happen.

"I said, let him go. You're nothing, I don't know you; you don't know me. Shooting you would be a breeze." I say through gritted teeth and he smirks. He smirks.

"Oh, you have quite the voice; quite the body too." He purposely aggravates as he scans my body and my hand tightens on the pistol. I notice Harry's jaw flex and tighten. "I would love to do some things to that-"

His disturbing words are interrupted by a ringing from his pocket. He huffs and I notice his hand holding the gun against Harry loosens.

"That's the boss calling me, I have to go. Don't even thinking about shooting me because I will shoot you. We'll be back soon, be ready." He moves the gun away from Harry, making him sigh in relief, and points it between us both. His body walks backwards through the corridor before leaving our view in exactly three seconds.

Through the space now in the gym, I now notice the ebony car in the parking lot. After a few seconds, the dreadful man gets inside and it speeds away.

Another bomb explodes by the entrance of the HQ and I grab Harry involuntarily, bringing him beside me. We missed the explosion by a few mere metres.

I fall to the floor, breathing deeply and needing to calm myself from my panicked state. My back falls against the wall of the corridor. With my eyes being closed, I don't see Harry sliding down to the floor beside me but I feel it. His body warmth was radiating towards me and it was comforting not to be lonely in feeling a mixture of distressed and relieved.

There are a few minutes of peace before either of us says anything.

"At least I didn't get another bullet wound." Harry playfully says as though it is a large advantage of what just happened.

It still makes me laugh. And before I know it, we are both laughing; regardless of the dangerous encountering, regardless of our complicated position, laughing in a building that was half-ruined by bombs and had just been under attack by dangerous men.

Laughing.