XXXIII

XXXIII
1:12pm

"Flynn has some explaining to do." Harry states as he grips the telephone.

We were now in Flynn's office which was surprisingly left untouched after the explosions. Harry was the one to suggest ringing Flynn to confront him about what had just happened. It was easy to find his number among the stash of pages at his desk.

Harry held the phone to his ear after tapping the digits contained within his number. His gleaming, forest eyes peered at me for a moment before staring back into space.

"Agent 21 here, I have Agent 11 with me. I'm going to put you on speaker phone." He speaks into the telephone, clicks a button and we await for his response.

"For goodness sake, Harry. You don't have to give me your agent number, I know you both too well for that nonsense." Flynn replies and I look at Harry.

"Flynn, there's been two explosions in the HQ." Harry begins and we hear Flynn sigh, "One was in the gym and one was at the entrance."

"I knew that this would happen. I was expecting it." Flynn tells us, in a way I could only describe as blasé.

"Wait, you knew this would happen? Why the hell didn't you tell us? We could have died!" I yell into the phone. I couldn't quite believe that he had done something so stupid.

"I wanted my best agents in the HQ because I knew that they had a better chance at fighting them away. The other agents were sent to America so that they wouldn't be in danger." He explains and I am furious.

"So your land in America isn't being attacked? You lied to us. Don't you think that we would have been more prepared if you would have told us?" Harry asks him and I nod agreeing with his truthful words. Harry was equally as annoyed as I was.

"I know, I know. I just wasn't sure about when they would actually attack or not. I understand why you're angry but I need to remind you that you signed the contract to be an agent, which basically states that your life is in my hands." Flynn says but my anger hadn't disappeared. "Did you get into any real danger?"

Harry answers "No" at the same time that I answer, "Yes".

"I'm going to go with Patience on this one. What happened?" Flynn questions.

"Somebody held Harry at gunpoint. A man, not very tall, he had brown hair and blue eyes." I describe to him, eventually keeping myself calm.

"Did he have an accent that sounded like he was from up north?" Flynn clues and I think about it.

"Yes, sir, I think he did. It was definitely northern." I answer and he gasps after my last word.

"Tomlinson. Louis Tomlinson." These are the only words heard from Flynn. Harry gives me a concerned look before peering back at the phone in his hand. "He is extremely dangerous. He is basically an accomplice to the boss. Keep watch for him and their crew, they could be back soon."

"Him? He's an accomplice to the boss? He didn't look frightening at all." I reply and I can almost view Flynn shaking his head.

"Patience, I have seen him do horrible things. He was there when my daughter was-" He sighs. "- no, enough about that. Just keep on guard at the HQ, okay? Were any agents injured in the explosions?"

"Not that we are aware of, Flynn. Everybody seems to be okay. Nobody has died, we know that for definite." Harry immediately states.

"That's good. I'm glad. I need to go. Keep me updated as best as you can, okay?" Flynn inquires.

"Yes, of course." Harry says as Flynn hangs up.

There is a brief pause filled with silence as he returns the telephone to the stand and we stay fixed in our positions.

"What do we do now?" Harry asks, glancing towards me and inspecting my face for a few seconds.

"I think we better just go and warn the agents that they may be back. What do you think?" I question as he nods.

"I agree." He replies as he turns to the door.

As I follow behind him leaving Flynn's office, I am a mixture between pleased and baffled: pleased because I was actually getting along with Harry, baffled for the exact same reason.

But fury overtopped my mixture of feelings at that moment. How could Flynn do something like that? I know he had a point about my life being in his hands but I just expected him to think much more highly of me. It made me realise my low place in this job a whole lot more.

I was exactly the same as Harry and the other agents in his eyes. Harry had made a similar point and I was now finally beginning to believe it.

Nobody cared if I died or survived. I was just a small surprise to the other male agents, nothing more.

And at that time, I began to question the way I was living my life. Why didn't I just do things on impulse, instead of overthinking them? I may not be living tomorrow so why didn't I do something out of the ordinary?

Maybe, just maybe, I should admire the curly-haired man in front of me: the one with the grassy eyes and dimples, the one with the lightly tanned and tattooed skin. He seemed to be the only one who made some impact in my life over the last few weeks. I was thinking and questioning things that I never thought I would.

He had previously been an enemy but now, he was a whole lot more.