XXVI

XXVI

Sunday 25th March 2007
12:46pm

Sunday was an undisturbed day, meaning that I didn't feel like crap for staying up late the night before. I slept late into the day without thinking.

It was weird to actually have some peace. Though, a part of me was waiting for Harry to be knocking at my door yet again. Being an agent was unpredictable, as was shown yesterday.

I lied in bed, staring at the blank ceiling before getting up and opening my window. My eyes peered outside and admired the view of the bustling streets outside. Everywhere was filled with bodies, traveling to and fro.

I was so caught up in the moving image outside that I didn't realise that my house phone was ringing. My mind eventually notices after half of a minute and I pace to the living area where the phone was fixed. My back and legs were aching tremendously.

"Hello." I answer it, staring at the wall of my lounge. There was a beautiful photograph stationed on the centre of it which included Niall and me. We were both stood on a beach, the teal waves splashing behind us. He was kissing my cheek as I smiled towards the camera. The sad thing was that I could never throw away or damage that picture, only that one. All the other pictures had been voluntarily burned and smashed after he confessed to cheating.

"Hey, it's Cara. I was wondering whether you would like to go out today." Cara answers and questions me. I think about it. "It's a beautiful day."

"I don't know; I have a whole lot of work to do for my job at the publishers." I lie and I hear her sigh on the other end. My instinct was to just go out with her but my body disagreed, with its tiredness and fatigue from yesterday.

"God, you spend your whole life at work or at home. Is your mobile on? I texted you all day yesterday and you didn't answer. Where were you?" She is obviously puzzled. I had to think of a reliable answer in the split second that was given to me.

"I had to turn it off so I wasn't distracted. My boss gave me a huge load of papers to look through at home; they're for an upcoming book." I explain whilst lying to her simultaneously.

"Oh." She huffs.

"I'm sorry." I declare; my voices audacity lowered.

"No it's okay, I understand. But will you definitely go out with me next week?" She questions, her annoyance had shifted.

"Of course. Next Saturday." I confirm while crossing my fingers, hoping that I would definitely be free. I did hate to let people down, whether that was Flynn or Cara.

"Good. Have a nice day doing your huge load of work." She says; her words now cheerful.

"I will. Bye." I hang up and push my hair back. My hand puts the phone back onto its stand and I step into my bedroom to collect my copy of Wuthering Heights.

Believe it or not, I had always wanted to work in publishing. That's where the lie rose from. My mother and father both supported me in the decision; they always stated that I could do anything if I put my mind to it. Along with my brother Noah, we were a largely Christian family. Church was where we could be found on a Sunday. I would never dream of going to church now, my beliefs of God vanished over the last two years; along with my family.

My finger finds the bookmark at the chapter I had left and I begin to read about Cathy and Heathcliff yet again.

Two hours of reading and eating leftover pizza passes by. I put the book down and grab my remote for the television. A smile stretches across my face when I find a channel showing re-runs of Friends for the rest of the whole day.

I grab myself a mug of coffee and stretch comfortably on my sofa. I engross myself in the world of the fictional bunch and as always, wished that I was a part of their group. Seriously, how cool would that be?

My eyes become heavy as it turns late rapidly. I end up falling fast asleep on the sofa, with the volume of the character's voices comforting me.

Monday 26th March 2007
7:30am

Thankfully, the alarm clock in my bedroom was loud enough otherwise I would have slept in. I pad to it and turn it off before arriving inside the bathroom, turning the shower on. The running water falls over me and I feel refreshed as I step away from it. My hand finds the hair dryer on the counter and I start to dry my locks. My hair was naturally straight, a hugely positive thing as I could keep it out of my way with ease. Nothing could be worse than missing a vital shot of a gun because a strand of hair was blocking my view.

My uniform is thrown over my body and I leave the apartment soon after. I was holding my guns and their strap in my bag, like I usually did. The car I owned didn't start up until the fifth try which angered me to an unbelievable extent. I just took deep breaths to calm myself as I began my drive to the HQ.

"Hey Patience." I'm greeted by Flynn in the corridor as soon as I enter the doors of the HQ.

"Hello, are you okay?" I question; puzzled from his inordinate greeting.

"Yes, I'm fantastic. I just wanted to thank you again for everything you and Harry did yesterday. Elena is safe now and I know that you won't share her location. I trust you." He rambles to me with a grin.

"No problem, Flynn, it's my job. Have you, err, seen Harry today?" I ask, quite confidently.

"Oh no, he's staying absent for a little while. With the wound and all, I don't want to push him to perform any jobs." He explains and I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding.

"Oh okay."

"Why? You two are getting on, aren't you? Please don't tell me that you're bickering again." He rolls his eyes and I shake my head.

"No, no. I was just unsure of whether he would come into work today, with his leg being injured." I answer quickly and he nods, a smile crawling back onto his face again.

"Okay. I understand. I have a meeting to get to now, Patience; it was good speaking to you." He paces away and I am grateful that Harry isn't here, my mind now at ease.

I turn around and rapidly bump into somebody harshly. My eyes peer up to find Noah, who looked nervous.

"Sorry, that was my fault." He states with a small smile.

"It's okay, don't worry about it." I reply with a grin, my eyes finding his sapphire ones.

"I better get going -" He gestures to behind me and I nod.

"Oh yes, of course." I answer and he nods, sending a final friendly beam towards me before leaving me alone.

That wasn't as awkward as I expected, not that it wasn't awkward at all because it was. Dreadfully so.