XXXI

XXXI

Saturday 31st March 2007
7:46am

Flynn told me almost straight away that I couldn't be absent on weekends anymore. The only reason I was annoyed was because of my plans with Cara that day. They had to be cancelled and she wouldn't be happy.

That morning, at my apartment, I held my phone to my ear and tried to reach Cara. But she didn't answer, probably due to being in bed as it was still early.

"Hey Cara, I'm sorry. I won't be able to see you today. Err, something came up. So yeah, I'm sorry. Bye." I leave her a message.

I face palmed at my excuse, well lack of an excuse. It made what I was doing seem so suspicious, definitely not what was needed. Cara was always curious; she would want to know what I was doing. At least I had a lot of time to think of something with my weekends being spent working now.

I arrive at the HQ after a while and I notice how many parking spaces there were now that almost every agent was gone.

When I entered the hall, filled with merely twenty agents, I never expected to see Harry sitting alone with two coffee cups in front of him. I move towards him and sit on the seat near him, on the same table.

"Here." He picks the coffee up, moving it towards me on the table. "I got you coffee."

"Is there poison in it?" I clue sarcastically, knowing that he wouldn't do such a thing but still not wanting to seem friendly.

"No, very tempting but no." He replies with a smirk and I nod. "It's still kind of warm, drink it before it goes cold."

I pick it up and bring it to my lips. Harry eyed me as I did. As soon as the coffee is in my mouth, I wince at the boiling sensation. I slam the cup back onto the table between us.

"You bastard." I comment and he laughs, his eyes screwed shut.

"I can't believe you fell for that." He breathes out before going into another fit of laughter again.

All common sense leaves me as I pick the cup up again and drink it all, ignoring the never ending burn in my mouth. The laughter stops and Harry is staring at me with his mouth wide open, shocked.

He doesn't speak as I raise an eyebrow at him while standing up. I can feel his stare on me as I step away from the table, sending him a smirk before leaving the hall.

I understood what he was doing. He was trying to make this time together as bearable as humanly possible, being even a little friendly was well enough.

Flynn told us that we would have to do at least five walks of the perimeter surrounding the HQ during the days that we were guarding it. I still had no idea of what was going on, I just performed his orders and he seemed okay with just that.

As I begin my walk, I open up my pistols to make sure a reasonable amount of bullets were inside each.

The area of grass that was beside me during my walk looked ravishing in the sunlight. It was the kind of space that could be good for a picnic or a game of football. If I was different, I would sit on the grass during my breaks instead of the hall and read a good book. But my job had become my life; I couldn't possibly spend half an hour outside of the HQ; not on a day like this.

I am distracted from my thoughts when I suddenly hear a gunshot sound from behind my body. My first instinct is to dive behind the corner, going into a forward roll. So I do just that. After twenty seconds, I hold my pistol up and ready. Shit, why did this have to happen to me? Were we under attack?

My question is answered when I hear a recognisable laugh and peer around the edge to see Harry doubling over whilst bellowing in laughter. I step from the edge to face him, fury radiating from me.

He used a bloody gun to get a reaction from me. It was so very dangerous that it proved more that he was psychotic.

"You've got to be kidding me." I comment but he doesn't stop laughing. "You're insane! Insane!"

"Aren't we all?" He replies, his laughter dying down.

"You're so lucky that I'm not a snitch. Flynn would fire your ass if he knew that you would do something so stupid." I explain, shaking my head.

"He wouldn't, I'm his best agent." He answers with a huge smirk, running his hand through his long hair. I just roll my eyes and begin to carry on my walk.

"Next time you hear a gunshot, be prepared!" I hear him call to me and I turn to see him begin laughing yet again.

"Screw you!"