chapter three

Lauren's POV

We were driving along the beach with our coffee and cupcakes in the bag, looking for an empty spot where we could stay and talk. We finally succeeded and I parked the car. Mom's been silent the whole ride, I didn't say anything either. It was a comfortable silence, though. I could tell she was still in a good mood, maybe she was just considering how she'll put in words what happened during the therapy.

She grabbed the bag and I locked the car. We walked to the beach and sat. Mom gave me my cupcake and coffee. I looked at her and I caught her gaze, she's been looking at me the whole time. We smiled at each other genuinely. I was getting impatient, I couldn't wait to hear what she's got to tell me.

"So, mom.. you know I'm not fond of waiting too long, please, enlighten me already.", she let out a laugh, a one which I could tell by that it was honest and truly showing what she felt. How I missed that laugh.

"Someone joined the group therapy. It was her first time today. Her name is Sinu."

"Sinu? That's a strange one." I stopped my mom before she could continue. 

"Yeah, I know. She might have mentioned she's just moved here from another country. Anyway, there's something about her that makes everything better. I really don't know how to describe it, I've been trying to find the right words since we separated after the therapy. If I wasn't that old and mature, I'd want to believe she's some fairy who came into my life to fix me, to help me find my old self and come back to that version of me. But I am old and mature,", we shared a laugh at this one and then she continued, I kept listening patiently, "and I simply cannot say she's a fairy, even he wouldn't believe it...would he?", it caught me off guard, to be honest and I didn't know what to say, so she didn't wait for my response. "sorry..what I'm trying to say is that she inspired me. She sparked motivation inside of me. I could literally feel something warm growing and spreading in my whole body, she did that. I don't know how, but I don't care at this point. I feel so grateful for her. Maybe he sent her for me, maybe he's tired of watching my grieve. Honey, I know I've been more of a child than a mother to you, I'm aware of your effort and I'm so thankful I had you by my side all this time, but I think I'll be able to take care of myself by my own now, I want that more than anything. Okay, not more than our happiness, but you know what I mean. Thank you, Lauren. I wouldn't get where I am right now if it weren't for you."

That totally got to me, because I was bawling. Not only it was the first time in a long time when I heard her talk for so long wihtout having to force her, but hearing what she's actually got to say, that she's inspired to get better and finally found motivation, made me so incredibly happy. I've been waiting for that day to come. I hurled myself into her arms, still crying but laughing at the same time. My tears were tears of longing and missed happiness.

"You're welcome, mom. I'd do it all and even more in a heartbeat only to see your happiness. I'm so happy for you, I can't believe it. Who's that woman? I have to thank her, I have to buy her a gift. She made a miracle, she made you smile and laugh and talk about inspiration and motivation. And you're not old!!"

My ramble started and she tried to shush me, it didn't work. When she did make me stop talking about how grateful I was, she hugged me again and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"I agree, I have to thank her, but you don't. And let's not forget one thing, there is a reason she joined us today, she wasn't ready to share yet, so I'll start by being there for her. She came up to me today, I'm not sure why, but I'd rather not question that, I wouldn't want her to disappear. She's really funny, she mentioned something about her daughters, hopefully I can meet them soon. I have her number, don't forget to remind me to call her before I go to sleep! I'll just start by being her friend, maybe we can help each other out just by being there for each other."