chapter seven

Camila's POV

I'm not sure how much time has passed since I got to my room, but when I heard my mom knock on the closed door to my room, I assumed she was done talking to Lauren's mom, so it must have been a while.

"Camila? Can we talk?" she sounded definitely timid.

"I don't want to talk about it, leave me alone for now." I tried to sound nice, I don't know how that ended up.

"Sweetie.. it's about Lauren." Lauren. Couldn't she say it the second she knocked on the door?

"What's going on??" I almost stumbled over my feet as I ran to the door. I felt a bit dizzy because of the sudden change of position.

"There was..she had...she's in-"

"Mom, just say it!" my hands were shaking. I was really worried and to top that, annoyed which never ends good.

"She's in a hospital." There you go, wow mom, you can talk. Wait what??

"A hospital?? What happened to her?" my voice was getting higher and my breath more erratic.

She looked at my shaking hands and took a hold of them. "Mila, calm down. Do you want to sit down?"

"No, mom. I don't want to sit down!" I released from her grip abruptly. "All I want at the moment is to know what had happened to her, can you please tell me?" If I didn't at least try to remain calm, things would end pretty badly.

"Of course, yeah. Clara didn't have much time to talk, not to mention that she was worried, scared even. So I don't know everything. But both of them were preparing dinner. They were in a good mood. Everything seemed normal, but then Lauren got really quiet. Clara heard her wince, she came up to her and she saw she had cut her finger. After that Lauren's demeanor changed drastically. I can't really describe it, I didn't understand everything while we were on the phone. But what I do know is that she didn't only cut her finger, but also purposely, or not, I'm not sure about that, stabbed her palm with the knife from earlier. Clara tried talking to her and screaming, but Lauren fainted. She took her to the hospital immediately."

What the actual fuck, Lauren?

Before I even processed the information I blurted out unconsciously "Can I see her?"

"No, I'm afraid not. Visiting them was the first thing that came to my mind as well, but the nurse won't let anyone in right now. We can try tomorrow morning if you want to. I want to support Clara, she sounded pretty shaken up."

"Yes, okay. We should go tomorrow morning then." All I needed to calm down was receiving information. I was still worried, of course. Did Lauren want to hurt herself?

In this moment I realized how little I know about the girl. I know I've only just met her, but I haven't given it a second thought.

There was a reason behind Lauren's mom attending group therapy. Maybe the reason Lauren was a bit of an outsider, from what I figured, and the accident from this evening was the same one?

She seemed totally fine this afternoon, though. What changed?

"Hey Camilaaa?" I shook my head to get back to the real world as I heard my mom's voice trying to get me back and saw her hand moving in front of my face.

I laughed lightly and looked at her. "Sorry, didn't mean to space out on you. What'd you say?"

"That's okay." She reassured me and stroked my arm delicately. "I was asking if you talked to her after she'd left our place."

"Oh, I did actually. She gave me her phone number and I left her a few messages. She replied with three ones, the first two being the response to my previous ones, and in the second one she said she'd call me later because they were about to make dinner.."