chapter thirty seven

a/n just a heads up, i didn't proofread this. enjoy! 

Lauren's POV

"So, it's finally official?" my best friend, Normani, asked.

"Well.." I started and I immediately felt my cheeks growing hotter.

"Oooh," she cooed, "someone's being bashful today!"

"Oh, shut up." I chuckled and the ebony skinned girl companied me.

"I'll take that as a yes, then." She looked at me with a smug face. "I'm happy for you, Laur. Finally something you deserve, you're already glowing."

"Thanks, Mani." I smiled gratefully and continued going through her wardrobe.

We hadn't found anything in the three malls we'd gone to and decided on going back to her house, considering how much clothes she owns.

"This should be good, not too elegant but not too casual, look." I spoke up after a minute of silence.

"Yeah, I guess. I wonder how my parents will act around everybody else there." she added out of the blue.

"I thought their relations got better?"

"Yeah, I mean, they're sort of okay now, but none of the family members know what's been going on for the last couple of months. They're most likely to pretend nothing ever happened." The ebony skinned girl explained.

"Is that bad? I mean, it's quite personal, I wouldn't want everyone from my family tree to talk about such serious and intimate stuff." I reasoned.

"Yeah, no. I know, I'm not sure what I want, to be honest. I'll just see how things will go and try to have fun. Guess who's also coming?"

"Who?"

"Even some relatives from Germany, only my granddad had a chance to get to know them, so it'll be the first time seeing them for the most of us." My friend revealed.

"That's exciting! I don't think I have any family in Europe, I wish-" I had to stop talking, because my ringing phone took me by surprise. I took it out of my front pocket and read that the incoming call was from my mom. "Sorry, I gotta take this." I excused myself before I answered.

"Hey Mom, what's up?" I asked casually.

"Lauren, you have to come home right now." she told me frantically. I immediately panicked, not knowing what was going on.

"But why? Something happened?" I asked again, not realizing how serious the issue could be.

"Just come home!!" she screamed so loudly that I had to pull away the mobile device from my ear.

"I'm on my way, jeez." I rolled my eyes and brushed my hair with my fingers nervously, still not being aware of the circumstances and ending the call quickly. "Mom's acting weird.. I have to go home, I'm sorry we couldn't spend more time together."

"Don't worry about it. Just let me know how things are and call me if you need anything, alright?" Normani replied understandingly.

"Sure, thanks Mani." I quickly said, leaning in to share a meaningful embrace with my best friend and saying quick goodbyes.

I put the key in the ignition, revving the engine to life and cranking the gear shift into reverse, rushing to my neighborhood, finally starting to realize something could be horribly wrong. I missed three red lights, but I couldn't risk my mom's health. I remembered all the bad memories from just a few months ago and tears glistened in my eyes immediately.