chapter ten

Camila's POV

I entered the elevator and pushed the button that'd get me to the first floor, that's where the café and the entrance were, so I'd check the park near the hospital and also the café at the same time. I was hoping I'd find them the minute I get there, because I really wanted to get back to Lauren. I felt bad leaving her there all by herself. Hospitals are depressing and people here get lonely pretty quickly. I'm not saying Lauren would get lonely, because I left her room literally 2 minutes ago, but I'm just not very fond of the idea of leaving her in the room alone.

There was no radio on the elevator and I took a notice of how small it actually was. I started to feel like it was suffocating me and I wanted to get out of it as soon as possible.

Four more floors to go, and I'd be able to look for my mom and Mrs. Jauregui.

I decided to think of something that didn't involve small rooms and dying, and I assume I spaced out, since I didn't even notice when the four floors passed. I heard the familiar 'ding' that announced my ride was over, then the door opened and I stormed out of the elevator.

I took a glance at my surroundings, trying to determine my location. The reception desk was in front of me and I remembered the entrance must had been on the left. I looked there, and I wasn't wrong.

I thought going to the café first was smarter, so I turned right and started walking. I peeked through the door and examined people occupying the seats at the tables and a mini bar.

I haven't been to many hospital cafés, I don't think I've ever even been to one of them, but I thought this one presented itself quite well. It was nicely decorated and the smell of hospital was hardly detectable. Instead I felt the smell of freshly made coffee and cakes.

My tummy grunted at the smell, signaling I was hungry. I was always hungry, though, so it's no news to me.

I reminded myself I wasn't here for all the appetizing cakes and pies, and that I had another reason to be here after all.

I examined everyone in the room once again, and when I didn't see either of them, I left.

I was headed to the park when I heard my mom's laugh. I looked around the room to locate the source of the sound. I finally saw the two women walk towards me from a narrow hallway that I didn't even notice.

Both of their faces lighted up after they'd noticed me and their walk quickened.

"Hey sweetheart, what's going on?" my mom said as she was getting closer.

"Is Lauren okay? Did something happen?" Mrs. Jauregui voiced her worries.

"Hi, and no. I mean yes! I mean..yes and no. Lauren's fine, don't worry." I assured them and smiled. "But she did ask me to look for you," I said directly to the girl's mother. "she needs to talk to you."

"Oh, okay then. Let's go!"

~

"So maybe Camila and I should get going?" my mom asked before Lauren's mom could enter the room.

The disappointment was impossible to ignore, I didn't want to leave yet.

I looked at Mrs. Jauregui hopefully, maybe she'd say we could stay.

"Oh, right. I'm sorry, I've totally forgotten you have life outside of it. I mean, you only came here to check on Lauren and me, and you've been here for like, what, 5 hours? Yeah, you should go." Mrs. Jauregui answered rapidly and looked at my mom apologetically.

"No, Clara. It's not that, despite the circumstances, I enjoyed spending these few hours here, but my daughter is still at a friend's house and I wouldn't want her to bother them." My mom explained immediately.