chapter twelve

Lauren's POV

Camila and I sat on the bench outside, watching the sunset as we waited for my mom, since she was talking to my doctor about all of the details of my recovery and treatment.

I didn't think getting lunch with her and Camila would mean having as much fun as we had. I never thought getting lunch could be actually hilarious. Obviously, in a world with Camila, it could be. The number of glares and pointed looks the three of us have got at the café, is enormous. Other patients and visitors definitely didn't approve of our obnoxious laughter and loud conversations.

A thing I found out about Camila, is that she is a food lover. She doesn't eat much, but she surely appreciates every form of food. I was rooted to the ground when I saw how precise her choice of what she'd have for lunch was, and then how she made sure to enjoy everything she consumed. I made a mental note to remember this, maybe one day I could surprise her by visiting her with something fancy, I'm sure she'll be over the moon when I do that.

After lunch came time for the conversation with my doctor. Unfortunately, Camila was forced to wait outside the office since she wasn't a relative of any kind. Only my mom and I were allowed there.

Talking to him came with more ease than I expected. It definitely wasn't that difficult. Mom made sure to let me know she was there for me when I'd stumble over my words or let out a shaky breath. The absence of Camila wasn't as difficult to me as I thought it'd be, because talking to my mom about the issue with the girl by my side came much easier, but I guess I should just be glad.

I was diagnosed with PTSD, which wasn't a big surprise to me. I've been suspecting it for a while myself. Mom, on the other hand, went through a slight shock. She had a small breakdown and the reason behind it, was the fact that I had to deal with my little brother's death by myself for a year. She kept apologizing and promising she'd do a better job from now on.

After I'd told him about my sleepless nights caused by not only nightmares but also normal, beautiful dreams where my brother appears, the flashbacks I sometimes get which follow to fainting or dazing, like the previous night, secluding such as rejecting my friends or family members, and the outbursts of anger, he was certain I'm the victim of the anxiety disorder.

The treatment he suggested consisted of, of course, medication and psychotherapy. After I'd seen what all the kinds of medication my mom used to take during the first months after the accident, did to her, I refused to all of them, but mom talked me out of it, and I agreed to one kind of pills. They were some weaker kind of antidepressants and I'd only have to take one pill every second day. The doctor saw how adverse I am about medication, and I'm thankful I don't have to take that much of it. He also said they'd start working after a couple of weeks and that a therapist, that he'll look for, for me, will discuss the rest with me on my first therapy session. I'm supposed to pay the doctor one more visit in three days to get all the information I need about soon to be my new therapist. As hard as it is to admit, I'm sort of excited about the whole thing. I'll actually get a chance to get better, and not by myself. It's a huge relief.

Currently I'm enjoying the last moments I'll get with Camila for the day, because my mom is about to take her home, and then go home herself, the second she leaves the office. Sinu started to get worried, because it's actually got a bit late. I'm not too miserable about the fact I'll be alone for too long, because it's almost certain I'll get out tomorrow morning. This fact alone calms me down, I'll be back home with my mom, able to call Camila to hang out if she's up to it.

A comfortable silence lingered between us as we silently watched the sun go lower with each second passing. We learned from each other that both of us really appreciate those kind of moments, because we should cherish even the simplest things, such as sunsets or sunrises.