chapter forty two

Camila's POV

Lauren and I were filling our mouths and feeding each other with the variety of candy we received on Halloween on a serene November afternoon. Thursdays were now the days we called ours, since the two of us have grown so busy with school activities, clubs and practices, that the fourth day of the week became the only full free day. And so we carried a blanket and some books to the meadow located around a mile away from Lauren's house and her neighborhood.

We were now sitting comfortably on the blanket and looked over the horizon mindlessly, both of us quiet, enjoying the sound of the wind and the nature surrounding us.

I glanced over at the girl of my dreams, sitting beside me, playing with the ring that always sat on her fore-finger.

"Hey Laur?"

"Hmm?"

"I was wondering," I started, trying to deal with the trail of thoughts in my head. "What was your sister like when you were little? You never told me about your relations with her from that time, I only know about Chris."

"Oh, where did that come from?" Lauren looked over at me and took a hold of my hand that was playing with the other nervously.

"I don't know, to be honest. You don't have to answer, you know." I assured her.

"No, it's fine." She shook her head and squeezed my hand for assurance. "Maybe I never told you about that, because there isn't that much to tell you, really. Taylor is different from me and Chris. We were such a dynamic duo. Taylor always lacked that..artistic part that both my brother and I had. Despite his age, he amazed me, and kept on doing that, with his soul, his mind and his heart." Lauren stopped to collect herself and take one big breath. "And Taylor, hm, she's just not someone I'd hang out with if I had a choice."

"So basically, if Taylor wasn't your sister, if you two weren't related in any kind, you wouldn't want to befriend her." I stated questioningly.

"As sad as it may sound, yeah, I wouldn't." the raven haired girl agreed.

"But you're sort of okay now, right?" I asked, all of a sudden really curious about the sisters.

"Sort of is an understatement.." she chuckled half-heartedly. "After Chris disappeared, I.. I craved everything that could have brought me closer to him, you know? I would do anything to have him close to me again." she explained with furrowed brows. "And Taylor was his sister, too."

"I understand," I added, wanting to let her know I was listening.

" I couldn't find support in my parents and I had to keep on reminding myself that Taylor is younger and even though she wasn't as close to him as I was, I wasn't the only one who lost him, the only one who suffered. I couldn't do much, since she was already in Seattle with our dad, but I did start contacting her more often." She added and I was amazed with how much strength I could hear in her voice.

"Is it safe to say then, that these days, you two are better than ever?" I voiced my thoughts.

"Definitely. Though it is nothing like you and your little sister share. You two are magical." Lauren commented, smiling.

"Aw Laur," I moved to rest my head on her shoulder, feeling the need of closeness. "I regret missing the opportunity of meeting your little brother, and there isn't a day when I don't wish that I could see you two together. But I am a thousand percent sure that you were just as magical."

"It makes me wanna steal Sofi, you know." Lauren joked, her lips curling in a shy smile.

"Hey, there's no need to steal anybody, we can share." I nudged her on her shoulder and chuckled.