chapter fifteen

Lauren's POV

After I'd got home, I hurried to the kitchen to greet my mom. I missed her even though it's only been a few hours.

"Hey, mom!" I said cheerfully and hugged her.

"Hi!" she hugged me back. "I missed you, sweetie."

"I missed you too, mommy." I whispered.

We pulled away and she smoothed my hair delicately. We smiled at each other gently.

"Okay, kiddo. Set the table, the food's almost ready."

As both of us were too occupied with food, I forgot to even ask mom about her day.

"So how are you? what'd you and Sinu do the whole day?"

"I'm really good!" she nodded. "We, uh, had to set something up."

...okay?

"Set what up, mom?" I asked, smiling.

"Well, knowing you and Camila are getting along, I wouldn't want you telling her about it, so just let me keep it a secret from you as well." She explained.

"Oh, come on! My mouth is shut, Camila won't find out anything from me, I promise." I begged.

" Nope," she shook her head. "You'll find out from Camila herself sooner than you think, honey."

"Ugh, you two are too sneaky." I groaned. My answer was followed by mom's light chuckle.

"If you only knew." She added.

~

I was in bed, half asleep when I remembered today's afternoon and my thoughts. I wanted to contact Ally and Normani.

It was late, but not too late to call. Though I don't think I'm brave enough to hear their voices.

I decided I'd send them both simple texts.

"hey mani. i'm so sorry for being the shittiest friend in the world. i love you, ok? hope you're ok."

Okay. It's sent. Now one for Ally.

"hi allycat. how's your trip? i'm sorry for not speaking to you for so long. i'm getting better, you know? i'd love to hear how you and troy are doing. i love you."

Bleh. I guess it'll do for now.

I fell asleep feeling content with how things were slowly but surely working out.

~

It was Thursday morning, the following day and my mom and I were having the same conversation one more time.

"Are you sure you're okay going there by yourself?" Mom asked for the millionth time today.

"Mooom, yes. I'm sure." I repeated. "It's only receiving the therapist's phone number and address. It cannot be too hard, right?"

"Yeah, yeah. Alright. Have a safe trip then."

"Thanks."

Finally. She finally let me leave. I'm pretty sure I'm already late for the appointment with my doctor thanks to her worries.

I got to the car, started the engine and turned on the radio. Beck's Loser was playing and I started singing along and swaying carefully.

Though after three songs I couldn't stop myself from thinking how much I preferred listening to Disney songs from Camila's playlist. Just like I couldn't stop myself from thinking how much I enjoyed her company and how much I already missed the girl.