chapter thirteen

Camila's POV

I heard the door bell ring as I got out of the shower. My guess is Lauren has just got here and Sofi is on her way to open the door.

Earlier I explained her the situation, that this one time she was allowed to open the door by herself, but only because I knew the person who would visit us.

I also might have asked her not to mention that to our mom. She would've killed me if she'd found out that I told my little sister to open the door by herself. Oh well..

I put on the clothes that I brought to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, sprayed some perfumes and hurried down the stairs.

"..but don't tell my sister I told you that. She'd tickle me to death." I heard Sofia's delicate voice say to our new guest.

"Don't tell me what, boo?" I ran down the stairs as soon as I heard the two girls talk, being too curious to let it go.

My sister inhaled dramatically and clasped her hand over her mouth.

"She caught us, Lauren! What do we do?"

I was standing next to them by now and my sister's face reflected pure horror when Lauren's was filled with amusement and joy.

"Sweetie, look at her, she has no clue what's going on, she didn't catch us." The girl said as she tried to calm the 5-year-old.

Sofia looked at me skeptically and watched me intently for a few seconds.

"You're right, she has no idea what's going on. Phew!"

Lauren smiled at her and rubbed her back gently.

"Don't think I'm forgetting that anytime soon, you and I will have to talk." I told Lauren directly, pointing my finger at her when I noticed my sister's attention wasn't on us anymore.

And then Lauren did something, that I wouldn't expect a girl her age do. To wit, she stuck her tongue at me and, of course, winked afterwards. She has a thing for winking, I think.

"Sof, did mom prepare you any breakfast?"

"Yeah, I even put my plate in the sink." She said and smiled proudly.

"That's fantastic. Do you want to go outside and play a little bit?"

"Yes!!" ..ugh that was loud.

"Okay, go get your shoes. But please, be careful around mom's section in the garden. She was working really hard on it, we don't want her hard work to be wasted, right?"

"No, of course not! She'd be sad."

"Exactly, so you'll remember?"

"I will."

"Great, well, have fun and let me know if you need anything, I'll be with Lauren."

I didn't get a response, because she was already on her way to our garden. I shook my head and smiled thoughtfully. This little girl is my gift, I've no idea what I'd do without her.

"She's adorable," suddenly I heard Lauren say, "and totally like you."

"I agree, sometimes it feels as if we are the same person but in two different bodies."

We both laughed and watched her build a sandcastle from the house.

"Well, hi." I greeted the girl and smiled.

"Hey there." she said and smiled back.

"How are you feeling?" I questioned as I looked at her wounded arm, poor Lauren.