Chapter One

After a boring night at the local bar, I'm tired out of my mind and also sort of drunk. I need to go home to listen to Queen and sleep. I call my friend Jane who always ends up being my designated driver.

"Hey."

"Let me guess. You need a ride home."

"You read me like a book," I say, smiling sleepily.

"I'll be there in a few."

I turn off my iPhone and wait for Jane. Soon enough, she comes and motions me into her car.

"You need to hold off on the partying for a while," she tells me with her eyes focused on the road ahead of her. "I need to catch up on my sleep."

"Well, first off, tonight was lame. Second of all, why don't you just come with me sometime and we can just get an Uber home?" I reply, scoffing.

"Because I have better things to do, Roxanne! Like work at a real job, get real money. Go to sleep at a reasonable time on weeknights. Post on my Queen Tumblr blog. Why don't you do something other than perform in musicals? My office has a few spots open," nags Jane, cautiously tightening her chocolate brown ponytail with one hand.

"Jesus, chill. I want to do musical theatre because singing reminds me of Freddie. And I have a Tumblr blog too," I argue. "Queen is my life, and in my opinion I embrace it more than you do." I copy her actions and fix my long dark hair.

"I try my best not to let them take over my life," she says. "But that doesn't mean I love them any less."

"Sure," I answer sarcastically.

We pull up to my apartment building. Jane walks in with me, takes me to my apartment, and takes me into my room. "Get some sleep, Rox," she mumbles before leaving and shutting the door behind her.

Time to listen to Queen and fall asleep. I turn on my favorite album of theirs, A Day At The Races, and think about them as I try to fall asleep. For the millionth time, I try to decide which member is my favorite. It's so hard to decide though! They're all so wonderful. If only I could go back in time and befriend them. Maybe I could even fall in love with one of them. But that's bullshit. Who could just wake up one day in the past and end up in the same place as their favorite classic rock band? I daydream about meeting them as I drift off to sleep.