Chapter Twenty-Two

**JANE'S POV**

I need to take a drive.

I miss Roxanne so much, and it's stressing me out. Driving is how I calm myself, so I need to drive. Badly.

I throw on a sweatshirt, because it's a very chilly morning for early September, then leave my house. I'm just about to get in my car as I see an unfamiliar man standing in the shadows on the side of my apartment complex.

The man is wearing all black, and he looks very suspicious. I can feel his cold, creepy stare on me, eyeing me. He comes over to me.

"Give me everything you have! Money, phone, everything!" he shouts and runs toward me.

He doesn't have a gun or knife, but he has a metal bat. I have nothing to use for protection. I'm helpless. But I can't give up my phone or money. I just can't.

"Why should I?" I ask. Bad question. I'm supposed to be smart! Why would I ask that?

"If you refuse, I hit you."

"Please don't. I just need to drive. I hardly even have any money on me."

"I don't care. Give me anything you got."

"Please, no!"

Resisting is a huge mistake. I'm not supposed to do that, and I know that! But I'm so scared, what else is there to do?

He grabs me and hits me with the bat, slamming me against a car, hard enough to knock me out. The pain and fear I feel is indescribably horrible. Horrible beyond words. I let out a piercing scream, crying as my head pounds. I can't see that much; I can only feel. I feel him grab my purse just as everything goes dark.

***

My eyes flutter open. My head is resting on the curb, while my body is sprawled out on the sidewalk. As my vision clears up, I realize this isn't my neighborhood.

All the cars look like they're from the sixties and seventies. I see UK flags hanging from front doors of homes instead of American ones. The architecture even looks different. My clothes look like they're from the seventies as well.

I get up and see a suitcase with my name on it ahead of me. I run toward it and slowly open it. What I find inside is a folded note, lots of seventies-style clothes, money, toiletries, and other necessities. I take the note and open it. It simply tells me that I'm living in the past now. What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I put the note back and take the suitcase with me while I look for help. I see a middle-aged woman who seems nice. I run up to her.

"Excuse me?" I say, tapping her on the shoulder.

"What's wrong, dear?" she asks in a thick English accent.

"I just woke up on the street. I have no idea how I got here. Please help me."

"Would you like to go to a police station?"

"Um, yes please," I tell her. "Thank you so much."

She takes me in her car and drives me to the nearest police station. As we drive, I notice that this looks nothing like modern-day America. It looks more like London in the seventies. It totally is, unless I'm hallucinating from when I got knocked out. I guess... I really am in the past. Is this where Roxanne ended up?

She drops me off at the police station. I thank her a million times before I walk in the station with my suitcase.

"Pardon me, officer," I say to the officer at the front desk.

"Yes?"

"Could you please tell me where I am? I woke up and nothing looked familiar. And this suitcase," I start to explain, holding up my suitcase, "has things in it that I've never seen before."