Chapter Eight

I spend the next day sulking in my room, and it takes Brian forever to actually get me out of my bed when he comes home so I can get ready for our date. "You should probably dress casually," he suggests.

I roll out of bed, groaning, and I go through my clothes. I lazily pick out the first things I see, a purple peasant blouse and bell-bottom jeans. I take them to the bathroom and jump in the shower. When I get out, I dry and curl my hair, brush my teeth, and get dressed. The blouse looks so cute on me, and the jeans fit perfectly. I smile at myself in the mirror as I do my makeup. Nothing too crazy, mostly just natural stuff and lip gloss. When I finish, I stare at myself in awe. I look so seventies! This is how I've always wanted to dress.

By the time I get out of the bathroom, it's 7:30pm. I put on a pair of brown booties with thick wooden heels, then I proceed to look for Brian. He sneaks up right behind me then grabs my shoulders, startling me. I jump back. When I realize it's him, I laugh.

Brian looks so attractive in his white button-down that's only buttoned halfway to the top and his black bell-bottoms which compliment his long, skinny legs nicely. To finish it off, he's wearing his favorite pair of clogs.

"You look beautiful, Roxanne," Brian says in awe.

"Well you look very handsome, Brian," I reply with a big grin on my face.

He offers me his arm and I take it. He walks me outside.

"I'm sorry, love, but we're not driving anywhere tonight. We're going to walk. I hope you don't mind," he confesses.

"That's okay."

I have no idea where he's taking me, but I don't mind. He's walking a little bit faster than me but he doesn't seem to notice. I run to catch up with him and end up tripping on the sidewalk. I scrape my hand. When I let out a shriek of pain, Brian comes running up to my side.

"Oh my god! What happened?!"

"I tripped trying to catch up with you."

He buries his face in his hands in shame. "I am so sorry," he apologizes, his sounds muffled by his hands. He takes his hands away and continues. "I didn't notice you were behind me, I thought you were next to me. Please forgive me."

He kneels down and takes my hands. His eyes dart to the scrape on my right hand. "That looks like it hurts," he mutters to himself. He looks up at me and asks, "Do you want to go home?"

"No! I don't!" I exclaim. "I feel horrible for hurting your feelings when I was spending time with Roger, I want to do this to make it up to you. And anyways, I think we'll have fun." I give him a hug and a kiss on the cheek to reassure him then we get up to keep walking.

The whole way there, he protectively holds my hand like a parent crossing the street with their child. He apologizes for causing me to trip every few seconds, and I forgive him each time. Around eight o'clock, I see where we're going to have our date. It's beautiful. Brian has laid out a large picnic blanket with a basket on top in a big, gorgeous meadow. He has candles surrounding it. I can tell I'm blushing because my cheeks are on fire.

"Brian..." is all I can get out of my mouth.

"Do you like it?" he questions, leading me over to the picnic and lighting the candles.

"I love it!" I exclaim, hugging him again as we sit down.

As we start to eat, Brian asks me questions.

"What's it like in 2015?"

"Well I can't tell you too much, but I can tell you that technology has really improved and it's taking over the world."

"Do you not like the technology?"

"It's not that I don't love it. It's really helpful and it's improving education curriculum and work and so many other things. It's just... different," I explain.

"I'm sure it's very interesting, though," he says.

"Oh, it is!" I agree. "I wish I could tell you about all our technology, but that could be dangerous." He nods.

We talk about everything from my musicals to my friends to my family to how shitty the music has gotten (minus a lot of detail). Then I ask Brian about himself, and we have a long conversation regarding him and nearly everything that has to do with Queen. It's gotten quite dark by the time we finish dinner. Brian looks up to the sky and I can see his eyes light up with excitement.

"Roxanne!" he nearly shouts out of happiness. "Look at the stars!" He scoots over next to me and wraps his arm around me. He points out many stars and constellations to me. It's so beautiful and interesting. I love how intelligent he is. It's a nice quality in a man.

He gets quiet for a minute and admires the stars in silence. I look at him, noticing the way his mouth is almost formed into a little smile yet is almost too deep in thought to smile all the way. I also notice how his eyebrows lower when he is focused on or thinking about something. He really is attractive.

I want to kiss him so badly.

The problem is, it's only the first date. Also, I really like Roger. But I like Brian just as much. I hope one of them will stand out to me soon, or else I'll have to stop going out with both of them. I already feel bad enough for going out with both of them at the same time. I feel too guilty to finish the date.

"Brian," is the only thing I can get out.

"Hm?"

I can't say anything else. I don't want him to feel like it's his fault that I can't stay. I end up saying, "It's getting late."

He looks at his watch. "You're right. Do you want to go home?"

"That would be nice."

"Okay. Let's go then."

As he packs everything up, I tell him, "I had a really great time tonight. Thank you for putting this all together."

He blushes. "I had a really great time too."

We're nearly silent on the way home, but it's the good kind of silent. Everything that we want to have said has been said. Well, minus the really deep stuff, like me feeling guilty or him being really into me.

When we get to the house, Freddie and John are waiting for us.

"How did it go, darlings?" asks Freddie as he gets up to hug me.

"It went well," I say.

"Good!" John exclaims, giving me a hug too.

"Deaky, can I see you for a second? There's part of a song I want to go over," Brian says, pulling him into his room.

I assume Brian felt something during the date and that's what he's really talking to John about, but whatever it is I know it will make me feel worse. I say goodnight to Freddie and go to my room.

God, I feel horrible.