Chapter Sixteen

**ROXANNE'S POV**

It's been a week, and I've been working at the Kensington Market for a couple days. I'm a cashier and sometimes I walk around to help customers. Freddie visits me very often to give me advice about working there, and Roger visited me on my lunch break yesterday, taking me to a cute café. I do enjoy this job, but maybe I can find a better job soon.

Today, Roger picks me up after work and we go on a walk in a beautiful park.

"I missed you all day," he tells me, holding my hand.

"I missed you too." I give him a peck on the lips, making him grin.

"How was your day, love?" he asks.

"Okay, and yours?"

"It was alright. We're playing around with 'Long Away' right now."

"I think it was so sweet of Brian to write that for me," I say.

"You do?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know," he mumbles, staring at the ground. "It's just... we've been spending so much time together lately and you, um, haven't been seeing him as much."

"Does it bother you that he wrote me a song and I liked it?"

"A little bit," he admits.

"Rog, I have to tell you it's hard seeing both of you at the same time. You're both so great which only makes it harder on me to go out with one of you more than the other. It will be so difficult for me to choose between you two. And you're so close with each other and I don't want that to change because of me."

"Are you saying you don't feel anything more for one of us?"

I sigh, trying to find the right words to say. "I'm going to tell you the truth, but don't tell Brian. Leave that to me." He nods as an acknowledgment. "When I'm with him, I have fun but I don't really feel anything. When I'm with you, I do."

He smiles at me cutely, making me half-smile back. "Really?" he asks.

"Yes," I say. "But... can I tell you something else?" He raises his eyebrows as a yes. "I, um... kissed Brian. To see how it felt."

"How did it feel?"

"I liked it, but it was nothing compared to kissing you, and I'm not just saying that."

"Okay," Roger sighs, looking relieved. I kiss him as we start to go back to the car, hand in hand.

***

The next day, Brian wakes me up, lightly shaking me, asking if I want to go to the studio to watch Queen finish recording Long Away. I nod, crawling out of the covers and getting myself ready.

Once everyone is dressed and ready to go, we head off.

The studio is very nice. It's a decent size and it has very comfy chairs. I like it.

Brian grins at me as he sticks headphones on top of his big head of hair. Everyone gets their instruments amped and everything as I sit behind the glass.

Watching Queen in the studio really is a treat. They work so professionally (with the occasional silly argument). It's like they're making magic. It's so cool to see how music is made. Especially this music. I've always really liked Long Away, but now I like it even more because it was written for me.

After a long day of recording, we go home.

"Do you like how it's coming together, Rox?" Brian asks, wrapping his arm around me as we take a seat on the couch and everyone else goes their separate ways.

"Of course I do! It's amazing."

"Good."

I try not to draw too much attention to myself as I try to inch away from him. He notices, and looks very hurt. "Where are you going?"

The look on his face is so sad, his hazel-green eyes looking as if they could tear up any second. I can't take it. I scoot back over to him.

"Sorry," I mumble, trying not to be uncomfortable.

Roger then comes into the room with a beer in hand. The pure shock and sadness he gives off when he sees me so close to Brian makes me feel so guilty.

"I take it you haven't talked to him?" he says to me.

"Roger!"

"Talked to me about what?" Brian asks, looking over to me.

"Nothing, I swear."

"Fuck!" Roger curses, realizing what he brought up. "I'm so sorry for mentioning that. I shouldn't have." He pouts. "Forgive me?"

I huff. "I don't know."

He scurries out of the room, obviously feeling too awkward to stay.

"Roxanne," says Brian in a hushed, serious tone, "what was that all about?"

"Nothing. Please don't worry about it."

"I can't not worry about it. Talk to me, please."

"Bri, you don't understand-"

He presses his lips against mine, parting his lips after the kiss and whispering, "Please."

"Not after that," I tell him. "I need some time."

I gently push him away, getting up to go cry in my room, too stressed to leave for the rest of the night.