Chapter Ten

**ROXANNE'S POV**

The next few days consist of Queen going to the studio, me trying to find a job, and Roger going to the bar every night to drink his jealousy of me and Brian away.

Today, I finally hear back from one of the places where I got interviewed, the Kensington Market. I open the letter, and it tells me I got the job! I start working next week. I squeal from my room, and I hear the boys' quick footsteps coming toward my room. They all pile in and ask in unison, "What?"

"I got the job!" I shout excitedly.

"Where?" they all ask in unison again.

"Kensington Market! I'm a cashier."

Freddie smiles. "I used to work there," he tells me.

"Really? Did you like it?"

"It was alright."

"Well now I can make my own money!" I squeal, slightly changing the subject.

Everyone cheers and gives me a big group hug.

"I'm so happy for you," says Brian, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

Roger sees us and his smile fades then turns into a frown. He mutters something as he stomps out of my room.

"He needs to get over it," John mutters so he can't hear. Freddie agrees but Brian looks to me with guilty eyes. It's okay, I mouth to him.

Freddie and John can tell something is upsetting Brian so they leave us alone. I invite him to sit on the edge of my bed.

"Roxanne, I regret what I said a couple weeks ago. About Roger not actually fancying you," he explains in a hushed voice. "I think he would really like to go out with you again. I won't be hurt if you go on another date with him. He's my best friend and I don't want him to feel neglected."

"Are you sure?" I ask, putting my hand on his knee.

"Yeah, I'm sure," he responds. "I think he needs this. He's not the friendliest person when he's drunk, so I don't want him to drink so much every night anymore. You know we're the reason why he's been drinking so much, right?" I silently nod. "Why don't you go see him?" he suggests. "He's probably pouting in his room."

"Okay." I hug him, get up, and go upstairs to his room.

The door is closed, so I politely knock.

"Who is it?" Roger yells in his high, raspy voice.

"It's Roxanne."

"Okay," he sighs, dragging himself to the door to open it for me. I walk in.

"What is it?" he questions, a cigarette hanging from his lips.

"I wanted to talk to you."

"About what?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to do something sometime," I say. "I think it would be fun."

Roger gives me a long, confused look. I raise my eyebrows, waiting for an answer. He doesn't say a word. He just keeps giving me that look.

"C'mon, Rog," I whisper.

He doesn't say a word.

"Please?" I beg.

He stays silent for a little while longer before answering, "You really think I'm gonna go out with you again? After you've been on quite a few dates with Brian since?"

"Roger, please..."

"No! You can't just date me then date someone else and expect me to want to see you again!"

"Please. I hate seeing you in this state. Hung over every morning, drinking every night. It's not healthy! And it's not a good way to address your problems. I don't even do that, and you know how much I love to go to bars. You're only doing this because I'm going out with Brian and you know it."

Roger's anger quickly turns to sadness. I think I hit him where it hurts. He looks down at his feet then back at me, his baby blue eyes blinking back tears. Wow, he's much more sensitive than I thought.

"O-okay," he stutters. "I guess we can go out again."

"What do you want to do?"

"I don't know. I'll think of something." He tries to smile a little bit.

"Well, I can't wait." I give him a hug and leave his room, closing the door behind me.

***

Two days later, Roger and I are planning to go see a movie since I haven't seen a seventies movie theater yet. He picks out one that he thinks I would like.

I go casual and throw on a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and jeans. After everyone finishes dinner, Roger grabs my hand and pulls me outside with a big smile on his face. A limousine pulls up to the house.

"Oh my god, is that for us?!" I squeal. He nods.

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!" I repeat over and over again, hugging him very tightly.

"Have you ever been in one of these before?" he asks.

"A few times, but this one looks so cool!"

We walk up to the limo. The driver ushers us inside. I sit next to Roger, who is grinning to himself, probably proud he made me so happy. The inside of the limo is so nice and roomy.

"All this just to go see a movie?" I question in awe. He shrugs like it's no big deal.

I coo over the limo the whole way there, hugging Roger every few seconds. The limo stops. I look through the window and see that we've pulled up to the movie theater. Roger thanks the driver as we get out and he drives off, leaving us to go see our movie. The theater looks pretty different from what I'm used to, but it's nice. He buys our tickets and popcorn, then we go into the theater and take our seats.

"This is so different," I whisper. "But I like it."

"I'm glad," he whispers back to me.

The movie soon starts. About a half hour into it, I feel Roger's arm wrap around my shoulders. I lean into him as I watch. I can see his lips form into a smile.

Near the end of the movie, I can feel him staring at me, so I look up at him. His eyes are locked on me. I'm trapped in his stare. I can't look away.

Just as two characters in the movie get ready to kiss, so do we. I don't know what to do. I'm too in the moment to think. But I don't have to. I allow his lips to crash onto mine, first gentle then harder. I'm ashamed to say I enjoy every bit of it. I try not to think of Brian because I haven't even kissed him yet and we've been on multiple dates. I hate going out with two guys at once, but I especially hate going out with these two guys at once since I've admired both of them equally for years.

I try not to think of Brian as I kiss Roger, and it works. I can't focus on one thing for too long without thinking of Roger and how perfect he is. Soon, the kiss breaks.

"Was... was that okay?" he asks.

"Uh, yeah," I respond, running a hand through my hair. "You're a, uh, good kisser."

"So are you."

The lights come on as the movie ends. We walk out of the theater and to the car.

"Thanks for this. I needed it," he tells me.

"No problem. That was nice."

"It really was."

"But hey, don't tell Brian about this. It'll break his heart," I add.

"Yeah."

We get in the limo and we're silent on the way home.

As bad as I feel for kissing Roger first, I liked it so much I might want to do it again.