Chapter Twenty-Nine

**JANE'S POV**

Brian and I decide to go job-hunting for me by looking through advertisements in the newspaper.

I'm sick of working at the Kensington Market making hardly enough money to provide for myself. I am an intellectual woman! I need a job that supports my greatest strengths.

I finally find a job I want to apply for, which is being a column journalist. My previous office job involved some journalism, so I have a few years of experience.

"I think it suits you," remarks Brian.

"Really? I think so too," I say and grin. "I'm going to apply for it, then."

"I've had a great day with you, Jane," he tells me, his hazel eyes glimmering hopefully.

"Me too. I hope we can do it again sometime."

He hesitates, then leans in.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

Here it comes. 

He kisses me.

It's not like we haven't kissed before, but this time it feels special. Like he's going to tell me something important.

"Jane," he mutters between kisses, "I love you, Jane."

I pull away. "Oh my god," I whisper to myself.

He immediately frowns, flustered, and begins to apologize. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that, I-"

"I love you too, Brian." His cheeks turn pink, then flush when I kiss him again, running my hands through his soft curls, savoring his lips that taste like vanilla.

"So, um... nobody's home, do you maybe want to, um... you know?" he awkwardly offers, but I know what he means. It's cute that he wanted to ask for permission.

"Sure," I tell him. He guides me into his room and we "you know" for the first time.

**ROXANNE'S POV**

I have a very exciting day at work today. I show all of my coworkers my engagement ring. Showing off is definitely one of my favorite things to do.

"What a rock!" exclaims my coworker Emily, staring at my ring with widened eyes. "It's absolutely lovely. I can't believe you're marrying Roger from Queen!"

I chuckle. "Thank you. I can't believe it either."

When I get home, Jane runs over to me. She is smiling like an idiot.

"Well someone had a good sick day," I say and hug her.

"Brian and I hooked up!" she nearly interrupts me.

"That's amazing!" I squeal. "So have you applied for anything yet?"

"I'm applying to be a column journalist," she tells me.

"Ooh, a journalist. Fancy."

"I know, right?"

"Well, if you get the job, we'll miss you at the Market."

Just as I finish my sentence, I feel a warm body against mine and two arms squeeze me from behind. "Hi, Rox," a rough voice greets me.

"Hey, Roger." I kiss him.

"I found a place for our wedding. It's gorgeous. A gazebo in a little park," he informs me.

"Cool!"

"And perhaps we'll invite some other band members. Also we should invite my parents, and my sister... Oh, and Brian's family, and Freddie's family, and John's-"

"Roger, I told you after you proposed that I didn't want our wedding to be a big deal!" I snap.

"I didn't think you were being serious."

"Well, you thought wrong." I storm into Jane's room for privacy and I slam the door.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm being so moody. Maybe it's the anxiety. Maybe it's the homesickness. I just really don't want our wedding to be a whole thing. I want it to be little and romantic. I only want to invite Queen and Jane. It would make me miss my family to invite Roger's family. If other families are being invited it would hurt me to think about my parents having no clue where I am. The wedding is just too much for me to handle.

I think it's too much for Roger to handle too. I can hear him in the hallway ranting to Freddie.

"I just don't think I'm ready to settle down. I'm not that kind of guy. I love Roxanne, but I also love being adventurous. Not waking up to the same face everyday," Roger explains to him.

"You've woken up to the same face since you fell in love with her," Freddie retorts. "You haven't explored other women for a long time."

"But what if I want to? I would never cheat on her, but what if this doesn't work out? It's too much of a risk, y'know?" He pauses, and there is a long silence before he adds, "I just... don't know if I can do this right now."

Well, that was heartbreaking. He liked me first, and now he's having second thoughts? After all this time, all this commitment? He was the one who even begged the others to let me stay with them. He's given the world to me for nothing. My whole life since I first arrived in 1976 feels like a lie. None of this can be real.

I want to go home. I want to go home. I want to go home.