Chapter Thirty

It's my wedding day. Holy shit.

Nothing has really changed over the past three months. It's 1977 now. Roger and I still argue, although I have made a compromise to invite his family to the wedding after meeting his parents and finding them to be delighting people. Brian and Jane are happy as ever, never leaving each other's side.

Freddie, Jane, and I picked out a fabulous sleeveless wedding gown with ruffles all over the skirt, as well as stunning silver jewelry to go with it. Right now Jane is doing my hair in a braided up-do. So far, I look gorgeous.

I can hear the boys getting Roger ready, and he sounds extremely anxious, which worries me. I really want our wedding to be magical, as well as our wedded lives. One little mishap and I've ruined everything. No pressure, right?

"Rox, why do you look so frightened? You're getting married to one of your lifelong idols. Enjoy yourself," Jane tells me as she finishes my makeup. "You look prettier than anyone I've ever seen."

I really do look pretty. I look like I could be the model for an impossibly perfect eye makeup tutorial that I might have seen on Instagram. Maybe this is a sign that my wedding will be perfect. God, I hope so.

Jane performs the finishing touch-ups, humming one of my favorite musical songs, "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof, as she does so. It makes me feel a little bit more calm for the moment.

Jane and I get our own limo thanks to the boys, and they get their own limo as well. I have no idea what's going on in Roger's mind right now, but I hope he's feeling excited and at ease.

"Stop worrying! It will make you sweat. You'll ruin your makeup," Jane nags, then leans in and mumbles, "You look on fleek." I giggle at her slang from our modern time.

***

"Roxanne!" Brian shouts anxiously as the wedding is about to begin. "I'm so sorry to worry you, but have you seen Roger?"

My heart pounds. "What do you mean? Where did he go? How the hell did you lose him?"

"Calm down, love. We'll find him." I notice him give an unsure look behind him to John and Freddie.

"How did they lose him?" I ask Jane, who isn't next to me anymore. She is talking to the boys and holding a piece of paper.

"Should I show her?" she asks them.

"It's worrying us enough. Do you really want to tell her that her groom ran away on their wedding day?" John says. I can see everyone looking uneasy. Brian seems to be tearing up.

"I feel horrible for her, but if you think she must know, go ahead. I'll come too."

What are they talking about? Roger ran away?

Jane and Brian come up to me, followed by Freddie and John. "Rox, I'm so sorry. I didn't expect this to happen," Jane says.

"None of us did, darling," Freddie adds shakily.

"What are you talking about?" I question.

"Roger's parents got this letter from Roger. They're out looking for him right now." Jane hands me a note.

Tell Roxanne I'm sorry and I love her. I can't do this. I can't get married. Not now. I'm terribly sorry. Goodbye.

My hands tremble. My whole body feels numb. My heart pounds heavier than it ever has pounded before. Tears blur my vision. Sweat rolls down my forehead.

After all of this. After everything he's done for me.

"I can't believe this. How could he do that?" I hear Jane say to Brian.

But he still loves me.

Hands grasp my shoulders. I turn around. Roger, hair tangled, clothes ripped, eyes puffy from crying.

"I'm sorry, Roxanne," he whimpers. "I promise I love you, but... we can't get married now. This isn't real."

What?

I feel like that word came out of my mouth, but no sound projected it. I'm dizzy. I see flashes of light. I feel myself lose balance. I allow myself to collapse.

We can't get married now.

This doesn't feel real.

This must not be real.

This can't be real.

This isn't real.

***

Buzz buzz.

It sounds like a cell phone. It can't be. This is the seventies, not the 2010's.

Buzz buzz.

I hear it again. I open my eyes. This isn't March 1977. This is my apartment, July 2015. Everything is left as it was when I fell asleep after my night at the boring bar. I roll over and turn on my phone. Oh, it feels so good to feel a cell phone again.

Two texts from Jane:

Hey. I had the weirdest dream last night.

You went missing, and we time traveled to the seventies. You fell in love with Roger and I fell in love with Brian. But Roger ran away on your wedding day. It was terribly sad.

She had the same dream as me.

Wait a second. Oh. My. God. It was all a dream. The time travel, the meeting Queen, the love triangle, the sex, the falling in love with Roger, the heartbreak. The what felt like eight months, all meaningless. All fake. All dead.

And gone.

**THE END**

A/N:
Hi! Thank you so much for reading my story. So sorry for the sad ending, but it felt needed. I love Roger, so I didn't mean for him to come off like a bad person. It was just a dream, after all. I love all my readers and I appreciate your reads and votes and comments. This story was the best fanfiction I have ever written, so I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to read this. It definitely had a lot of twists and turns, so thank you for experiencing major feels throughout. Just... thank you all for reading my little story.

With lots of love,

Maya

P.S. This will not be the last of me!