Beach Fun

"Ash, do you know what your Serperior's ability is?" I ask.

After a good night's sleep we awoke, ate breakfast, then decided to train.

"No."

"Well, there's only two that she can know. The most common one is overgrow, which means it increases the power of grass-type moves by 50% when the Pokémon's health is low. In other words, it powers up grass-type moves when the Pokémon is in trouble," I say. "Or she could have the hidden ability Contrary, which makes stat changes have an opposite effect. Such as if the move growl was used, growl usually lowers a Pokémon's attack, but with the ability Contrary it reverses meaning it will raise the attack."

"That seems handy," Ash comments.

"It may seem good until an attack that's meant to raise stats lowers it instead," Cilan says.

"Precisely. Those are the two that she could learn, that is unless she's very special like my Serperior," I say.

"Then let's find out," Ash says.

"Serperior, ready for a battle?" I ask my own Serperior.

~~~ I too lazy to write out a battle~~~

"So she has overgrow," Cilan says.

"Looks like it," I say.

"I just wanted to ask, what does her ability have to do with her learning aerial ace?" Ash asks.

"Nothing really," I say. "I just thought that you needed to know."

Everyone sweatdrops.

"Then what was the point?" Ash asks.

"To make you a stronger trainer. Knowing the abilities of your Pokémon strengthens your bond and you get to use it to your advantage," N explains.

I nod my head. "Exactly what N said. Now, she needs to increase her speed, so practice with that. To get her in the air, practice jumping off high places like trees or a waterfall into the water so she'll have a safe landing."

"Smart," Cilan says.

"What's the next place you have to go to collect a gym badge?" I ask.

"Humilau City," Ash says.

"That's Marlon's gym," Lucario says.

"That's the area where we taught Serperior aerial ace," I say. "She'll be really helpful against Marlon as well as Pikachu since he's a water type gym," I explain. "Do you have any other grass types?"

"I have a Leavanny," Ash says.

"Good, any fighting types?"

"I have a Scrafty."

"Good then that's the team you'll use against Marlon," I say. "Scrafty vs Carracosta and Pikachu vs Mantine. You can use the other two for whoever you please."

"Thanks!" Ash says.

"There's a waterfall along Route 22 which is behind the gym. Have your Unfezant show her how. Serperior should learn it in no time," I say. "Would you like me to show you the easiest way to Humilau?"

"It's the shortest and most spectacular way there," Lucario says.

"I wanna go!" Iris exclaims, tugging on Ash's arm.