"I'm sorry"

This is probably one of her family meetings.

My mum usually calls family meetings all the time. We mostly discus boring stuff such as
• what we want in our lunches
• discussing about our behaviour
Yea, as I said, boring stuff

I walk into the living room to find my family sitting on the sofa. May is perching on my mums lap, playing with her toys. Peter is playing on his phone and not bothering to listen to what was about to be announced.

"Come sit Grace, I have something to tell our family" There's no more room to sit on the couch so I kneel down on the floor near my brother. He looks up for a second from his phone to notice I'm sitting next to him, then looks back down.

"As you know May is taking up a lot of my time as she's having difficulties with growing up and your dad is having to work extra to keep us living here as I have quit my job due to May." She was talking really quickly so, Mum pauses for a second to catch her breath. I look at her eyes and I can see how much effort she is putting in to telling us. During this my brother is still looking at his phone, not listening.

"And every year we host a small stall at the Mid Summer Festival and because, our hands are full, we won't be doing it this year." My brother's head suddenly jolted up. So now he's listening.

"What?! We are not doing the stall, why not!?" I roll my eyes. My brother only listens to what he wants to, and when he does it's usually about electronics. It's not a wonder why Peter has failing grades in every subject. I hear mum sigh as she gets up.

"Well thanks for listening," she glares at Peter. " I'm going to the kitchen to make lunch." I think for minute before following her through the door. This was a risk.

"Hey mum." I say as I'm sitting myself on the chair beside me. I can already feel the tension in the room.

"Sweetie, I don't really want to talk at the moment, I'm a bit stressed. I have a feeling that this won't work.

"I was just asking when will we be doing my cake for the Mid Summer Festival?" My mum puts her face in her hands.

"Sorry honey I forgot.....maybe this weekend?"

"No you can't because you need to take May to Stefans birthday party, remember?" I say, this is going to be hopeless. Mum lets out a big sigh.

"How about you make it with Anna, ok?" I don't dare to disagree with her when she's in this type of mood.

"Ok." I walk out the room and slump up the stairs. I can't do it with Anna because the only rule Mrs Swelling said is that we can't do it with anyone that goes to the school. And I can't do it with my dad because he's working. I guess I'll just be doing it on my own. When I get to my room I notice I have a phone call from someone. They hadn't called me before because it was a Unknown Caller. I wonder who?