Chapter 13

Victoria

"What's up T Boogie and Sleazy V?"

They continued walking towards us but I was backing up now. It sounded like Rob and it looked like him but it couldn't be him nor could that be Hazel. They were supposed to be dead years ago. I remember seeing Rob dying but I never stayed back to see him dead. I mean, why would I want to see my friend dead? And I didn't see Hazel's body either. Daddy and Teddy found Hazel's body at her house one night. And they both had closed casket funerals but that still doesn't make any sense. Their families were crying and grieving over their deaths, so how could they be standing here in front of me?

"Stay away from me!" I yelled, still trying to back up but Teddy was frozen in place behind me.

"Victoria, stop it," Hazel interjected. "Can we explain, please?"

"Look, I don't know what type of evil sorcery you guys are trying to play on us but we aren't with playing games," I explained, trying my hardest to push Teddy back. "We don't know who you guys are because we buried our friends years ago."

"How could you have buried us if we're right here?" Hazel asked trying to step towards me but I quickly backed up.

"No! Get away from me!" I yelled.

"Aye T, please tell Victoria to chill out. If she just stops acting like this then we can explain what happened," Rob began.

Teddy finally snapped out of his trance. "If you're really Hazel and Big Rob, prove it."

"A'ight, well we all used to live together in a condo when we were all in our early twenties. We used to live on...what's that street name?" Rob asked Hazel.

"Dexter," Hazel continued. "Victoria, remember the time me and you went over to Teddy's new house and trashed it and wrote all over his walls? I know you've got to remember how we cut the crotch out of all his pants."

I slightly smiled. "Yeah I remember that but anybody could remember something like that. I need some more proof because this is crazy. I remember burying you guys over 20 years ago and going to you guys' funerals."

"That was all set up to make it look like we were really dead," Hazel began. "I know you guys are probably gonna be upset about what happened but just hear us out."

I sighed and looked over at Teddy, who looked just as skeptical as I did about all of this. Okay, say they faked their deaths, why did they hide out for almost 25 years? It's one thing to hide but to abandon your child with your friend is just absurd, especially since Ava resents them for just not being there for her growing up.

"Fine, y'all got five minutes to say what y'all need to say but if y'all come at us with some funny shit then we leaving," Teddy told them.

"Cool, that's understandable. But I'll just put it like this, we had to leave to protect y'all and to protect Ava. We didn't want to up and leave our daughter and we ain't wanna fake our deaths but we had to do it or else we would've been killed, Ava would have been killed and so would y'all and y'all's family," Rob explained.

"Well, how come it took y'all so long to come back?"

"Because Luther wasn't dead."

I shook my head. "And? He was in jail for years and we hadn't heard a thing from him until a few years ago. But that just doesn't make any sense to me Hazel. Your Dad has as much power as mine does, and if my Dad wasn't so consumed with the church, he would have seen Luther plotting to get his revenge a long time ago. You can't tell me your Dad was too distracted to not give a damn and nip that situation in the bud."