Chapter Thirty

"Normani, what's wrong?" I asked.

Ally hit play on the stereo so I dashed over to turn it back off. She was about to protest when she saw the look on my face. Looking up in the mirror, I can see my pale reflection staring back.

"It's Zayn. He was in a bad car accident."

"Is he okay? Have you heard anything? How's Perrie? She can't get stressed out. That's bad for the ba---"

She cut me off. "We don't know anything. However, Perrie is fine. She wasn't with him. Her parents are driving her to Miami General now."

"Okay. We'll meet you there." I said.

After we hung up, everything became fuzzy. Ally looked up at me concerned. She climbed off the sink and led me over to the bed.

"Laur, what happened?" she asked, combing my hair to the side, out of my face.

I was still trying to process the whole thing. My legs felt heavy, my hands were numb. I swear I was seeing double. The initial shock had set in. I can hear Ally in the distance still trying to ask what happened.

Leaning forward, I ran my hands up and down my thighs over my pants. Maybe friction will give them life. There was a dip in the bed that shifted me slightly. All I can think is, what if something bad happens to Zayn? What if he dies? We didn't end our last conversation off on a good note.

Seconds later, my mom was calling my name. Jerry too. I looked up at them but they were a blurry haze.

Eventually my emotions calmed and my sanity caught up. I was a mess on the floor in the crook of my mother's neck.

By the time we made it to the hospital, everyone was already there. Perrie was just as much as a mess as me. She was huddled tight by her parents and friends. Zayn's friends were also there, sobered up no doubt.

Then as we rounded the corner to sit across from everyone, I see Normani, Dinah and her.

Camila was sitting with her head bowed, reaching up to dab at her eyes with a tissue. Mani was rubbing her back as Dinah held her other hand.

Now, instead of going to sit, I turned and headed straight for Perrie. She peeked up at me through watery eyes. After nodding to her mom, they helped her up and we embraced. Her huge belly was right up against mine.

"Have you heard anything?" I asked as we pulled away.

Her eyes avoided mine as she chewed on her lip. "He...He hit his head pretty hard." She swallowed hard. "They haven't said anything more."

I nodded. "It'll be okay, Perrie. You know he's got a thick skull."

A small smile crept on her lips as she nodded, her eyes welling up again.

We hugged again and then I let her go back to her mom. I went back over to Ally, who now sat next to Normani, hand in hand. No one looked up. Everyone was quietly sitting. As I sat, Ally's hand found mine. We were all joined together in that little waiting room.

It was hours later when a doctor finally came out. He asked for the family. Zayn's parents lived hours away and were on their way here. So Perrie said she was his fiancé. He let her and Camila go talk with him.

When they came back, they both looked much less worried. Relieved even. Maybe it was good news.

Everyone stood and waited for Perrie or Camila to speak. They exchanged words between each other first. Probably deciding the best way to break the news. Then Camila stepped forward, gripping Perrie's hand still. Her eyes were puffy and her nose was red. Her hair was thrown up in a messy bun, lose strands hung about. She had no make up on, or any of her usual fancy clothes. Just a hoodie and leggings. I don't know if it was the black leggings or not but she looked way thinner.