Chapter Sixteen 1/2

"...Yea, yea. She was the one to contact you. Didn't mean you had to contact her back!" Dinah hisses, looking away from the racecar game we're currently playing, to give me a death glare. I look away from her just as quickly, pretending I'm more into the game. "Besides didn't I warn you not to?"

Now I look back over at her. This time she's turned away, hands on the steering wheel in front of her, brows furrowed in concentration or is that disgusted look because of me. Considering she pulled me away from everyone else, telling them we want to 'race' each other, just so she can privately lecture me. I think yes. Definitely because of me.

"Look, Dinah, I---"

"No! You look, Lauren! Camila is a mutli millionaire, international sensation with countless amounts of awards and even more adoring fans...but really really vurniable to pretty girls with green eyes." Her voice goes soft at the last part.

I feel my jaw drop then snap it closed. Dinah rolls her eyes, leaning over closer to me. Our race long forgotten in front of us. She nods her head up and down, slowly, waiting for me to say something. I try to react but the shock is too much.

"Bu...but...Eric?" I manage to stutter out.

"Nope. He's a cover up. For both the public and her parents."

"Holy shit. Dinah, I had no idea."

She leans back, looking around the game room. "I know. I thought if I scared you away, she'd be fine."

"We're not..."

"I know. Listen. Camila wouldn't stop talking about you after the coffee shop thing. It was actually really cute. But as her best friend and assistant, I had to protect her. And I still do. Lauren, she'd lose everything if people knew she was into girls." Dinah drops her voice again and lowers her head. "So please. This is me begging you. And I never beg. Just please stay away from Mila."

Taking a much needed breath, I sink back into the arcade game's seat. I feel like I just got the wind kocked out of me. My head feels fuzzy with this new information. Camila is a closeted lesbian? How did I not see that? Sure she insisted on a friendship but I didn't think she was attracted to me like that. Is she? Or is Dinah trying to use a different approach so I'll leave her friend alone.

"Please?" Dinah's voice pulls me back.

"I...I...don't kn... No." I turn and blankly stare back. Her brown pleading eyes shoot open wide in surpise. Superstar is my friend. She's nice, alluring and humble. I am not throwing my friendship with her away for the sake of Dinah. Besides I wouldn't force Superstar into anything. Her secret is safe with me. Her reputation is safe.

"Excuse me?" The tall girl cocks her head to the side in disbelief.

"I said no. Camila and I are only friends. We will remain friends for as long as she wants me around."

"Nooo. After tonight. You'll never see Mila again."

We stare hard at each other, waiting for the other to back down. Dinah doesn't scare me anymore. I have no reputation of my own to protect. She can't threaten me. Camila means too much to me already.

"Hey--Um..Is everything okay?" Thankfully my mother comes over to us. She noticed our stare down, looking from Camila's friend and back at me.

"Yep, peachy." Dinah forces a smile. She grabs her purse, climbing out of the chair then storms off.

My mom awaits an explanation. I shrug it off and motion for her to join me. She does and we end up racing our cars through some video game city. She reaches over trying to grab my wheel so I spin out. But I reach over and pull her wheel toward me. All the animated racecar opponents pass us up. My mom laughs and I can't help but join. She looks so happy and carefree. I need to thank Jerry.