Chapter Twenty Eight

The elevator door opened with a ding. I hauled my bag behind as I exit, heading to the lobby. I heard someone calling my name. Ignoring it, I kept walking. I pushed the lobby door open and the cool New York air hits me, blowing my hair out behind. I took a deep breath to fill my almost collapsed lungs when I felt him behind me.

"For fucks sake, Lauren!" Zayn grabbed my elbow.

I yanked it away and kept walking down the sidewalk. "Leave me alone, Zayn."

"No. Let me explain. Do you even know where you're going?" He followed, closely.

"I don't know and I don't care."

"Lauren, please!" He stepped in front of me, taking hold of my shoulders.

I go to push him away when I feel a tapping on my back. Terrified it'd be her, I turned slowly. Zayn only sighs, stepping away. Behind me stands a couple of young girls, all with their phones out, ready.

"Aren't you Lauren? Camila's friend?" One asked, grinning.

"Yeah." I sighed, turning toward Zayn behind me, who only shrugged.

"Cool! Can we get a picture with you?" She asked.

"I'm kind of late for something. I'm sorry." I faked a smile, taking her hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. They pouted but accepted my decline. I turned from them, walking off passed Zayn. He's quick to follow though. "Seriously?!" I stopped and shouted. He backed up as I looked both ways, avoided the cars and crossed the street. I'll just wave down a taxi to have them take me to the airport. But as soon as I settle on the side of the road, waiting, Zayn is back at my side. I keep my head turned away from him.

"I wanted to tell you." He croaks out. I watched his shadow on the pavement. His hand is behind his neck, rubbing it.

"But the money was better than the truth right?" I mumbled, keeping my gaze down.

"What? What money? She didn't pay me. She asked me to keep quiet until she told you. Which turned out to never of happened."

Now I turned and glared up at him. "I thought you were my best friend."

"I am. Camila said it would sound better if it came from her. I honestly thought she'd tell you. I even tried to stop it before it began." He said.

"You didn't try shit." I turned away. My brows furrowed, my head pounded. If he had said something from the beginning, it would of saved me from not one but two broken hearts.

"I didn't want you or her to get hurt." He confessed in a low voice.

"Too fucking late for that." I mumbled, turning back to stare him down. "You just let her fuck with my feelings not once but twice?!"

He flinched, putting his hands up in surrender. "I didn't even know until you showed me her picture!"

"Whatever." I spit back. Looking away, hoping to find a taxi approaching. Nothing but morning commuters zoom pass. Zayn however stays by my side, nervously running a hand through his hair. I caved and asked him. "Soo, how'd it start?"

He stood quiet for a minute before taking a deep breath and replying. "Well I can't speak for her but from what I know, she saw your picture in my phone. She asked about you and I told her you were my very single, very gay friend." He half smirked, half laughed. I glared at him before he stopped and continued. "She bought you all those drinks at the clubs. She heard me say you had a tumblr looking for love. I guess she went from there."