Chapter Five

I don’t know how he did it but he did. Zayn was able to convince me to come out again. I couldn’t deny him. He’s been doing so good at work. Geoff has noticed and praises the both of us. Much to Zayn's confusion. He still thinks it was my deal to go out one night with him. This time we don't go to the club from last weekend. He takes us to a small bar that is pretty tamed. His friend, Harry, told him of this place. It's called Sir Robbins, everyone just calls it Robbie's. It's small but still attracts a good crowd.

Zayn leans over the pool table taking his turn. I watch him intently, trying to penetrate his mind so he’ll mess up. His pole cracks the red stripped ball and he pockets it. Damn. He smugly smiles up at me. I flip him off, while reaching for my drink. Suddenly I feel my phone vibrate. Probably mom checking on me.  

Incoming Call… No Action Karla

My jaw drops. I haven’t heard from her in two days. Since we started texting we haven’t stopped. I sent her the picture of Zayn and I. She asked if he was my boyfriend. I laughed out loud and assured her he wasn’t. For the rest of the week we talked about everything and anything. She has a little sister. She want’s to write a book. She also informed me that she now loves Lana Del Rey. Thanks to me. It was nice. She’s actually pretty amazing. Then suddenly out of nowhere Thursday night, she never replied. Now she’s calling? I look up and Zayn eye’s me in question. I put up one finger and dash out of the bar. It’s much quieter out here.

"Hello?" my voice sounds dry and unsure. I mentally punch myself.

"He…y…" All I here is grumbled talking and static from the other end.

"Huh? I can’t hear you." 

"Sorry. Text…"

"Okay." I reply, catching the gist of her scrambled call. The call ends and I pull up my messages.

To: No Action Karla

Hey, I couldn’t hear you. Everything okay?

After sending it I realize I just heard her voice for the first time. Just three words. Three very distorted and distant words. But it was her voice. Smooth with a tiny rasp. Or it was the static that made it seem like that? That means she also heard mines. Crap what if my voice is too rough for her. I probably just turned her off.

From: No Action Karla

i’m fine. shitty service sorry… you sound cute ;)

I wasn’t expecting that. I reply.

To: No Action Karla

It’s okay :) Nooo you sounded cute!

I smile down at my phone. I feel the warm glow spread from my belly to the end of each limb.

"What’s got you so smitten?"

I look up to see Zayn standing just beside the door. His arms are crossed and he wears his infamous smug smile.

"I’m not smitten." I shake my head.

"Is it her? The girl from tumblr?” he asks, coming to stand next to me. My phone vibrates. I hold it up to him and nod. He nods back. “What’s she look like?”

From: No Action Karla

can i call you in a bit? if you’re not busy

"Hold on." I mumble. Oh my god! She want’s to call me back! 

To: No Action Karla