Chapter 21

Abril never really liked walking, and now that she was pregnant, walking was worse. So when she had to walk all the way from the training field to the Real Madrid offices, she was nowhere near happy. They were literally half a mile away from each other.

All she wanted to do was sit down and let her legs rest for a moment before going back to training. Her orders were simple: Give these files to Florentino's secretary and then meet the team at the gym for physiotherapy. Thank god the gym was fairly close to the office building.

As Abril walked down the modern hall of the third floor she could see the secretary's desk in the distance and she clutched the files closer to her desk. Finally.

"Oh! Abril, I was meaning to talk to you!"

It took all the strength and self-control in the world not to groan since the man talking was her boss. She turned around and clenched her teeth to form a smile. "Juan, aren't you supposed to be in a meeting?"

"Oh, yes." He said, "That's what I was going to talk to you about."

"The meeting?" She asked.

"Yes," He said, "Um, but first I need to speak with Perez. How about you meet me at my office after training is over?"

Abril mentally groaned. After training she wanted to lay down and sleep, but work comes first.

"Of course."

"Good, see you then." He said and started to walk to the President's office. "Oh- Do you want me to take these?" Juan asked pointing at the files.

Abril smiled and sighed in relief because she didn't have to waste her energy in walking 30 more feet. "Yes, please!" She handed him the files.

As she walked towards the gym, she paused and thought for a moment about what Juan was going to tell her. Did he know about Cristiano and the baby? Who told him? Was she going to get fired?

The thoughts did not leave her head. Not even when she pushed Toni's leg all the way to his leg and he giggled, "This feels weird."

Not when Sergio complained about a pain in his thigh.

Not even when Cristiano sent her a questioning stare. As if asking, 'Are you okay?'

The Puerto Rican knew she was worrying too much about something that hasn't happened yet. But what else would he tell her?

It was the end of the season and the only game left was the Champions League final so why would he fire her before the last game and not after.

"Can you help me with something?" Cristiano asked after she finished stretching Sergio's thigh.

"Okay." She followed him to a mat at the other side of the gym where he laid down.

"Act like you're stretching my ankle."

Abril looked at him with a raised eyebrow, but obliged nonetheless, pulling his ankle all kinds of directions as he laid on the mat, "What's wrong?"

She looked at him and shook her head, "What do you mean?"

"I see that look on your face."

"What look?"

"You look like James."

She raised an eyebrow, "Why do I look like James?

"Because you look like you're about to cry," Cris said, resting his head on his hands.

"And what does that have to do with James?" She asked, still rolling his ankle, trying to look convincing.

"He always looks like a lost puppy."

Abril thought about James's face for a moment before nodding and laughing, "It's true."

"Yeah! And it creeps me the fuck out."

"Why would a lost puppy creep you out, Cris?"

"Because it's too cute." Abril laughed quietly and then remained silent. She couldn't help, but think about what Juan was going to say. And she also knew she had the James expression on her face, "Tell me what's wrong. Please."

"Nothing. It's just that..." She started saying, but trailed off.

"Just what?" Cris asked as Abril stretched the rest of his leg because rolling the same ankle for five minutes is not very normal.

She sighed, "Juan wants to talk to me after training."

"Really? That's it! I thought something was wrong with Catalina."

"It worries me Cris." Abril said completely ignoring his comment. "What if he knows about our... you know!"

"He doesn't know." He said.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I am. Besides if he did know, I told you I would take care of it!"

"Then what would he want to talk to me about?"

"I don't know, but stop worrying!" He exclaimed.

Abril smiled before frowning once more, "You do know we're going to have to tell him at some point.

"Yeah, I know. And I told you that I have a plan for when that day comes. But it hasn't come so calm down!"

She stopped stretching and pulling his leg, "Okay. I'll stop worrying."

The girl stood up quickly and helped the man up. "Good."

"You still won't tell me what that plan is, will you?" She asked, batting her lashes.

"Nope." Cris said before jogging to his best friends.

•••

Abril took a deep breath as she stood in front of the dark wooden door. 'Dr. Juan Gonzales' read plaque on the door. She knocked three times, and waited for the man on the other side of the door to answer.

"Yes?" He called.

She opened the door slowly and peeked her head inside, "I'm here. Can I come in?"

Juan peered up from the computer and nodded "Oh, yes. Take a seat."

Abril opened the rest of the door and sat down on the brown leather seats across from his desk. He finished typing whatever was on the computer before smiling, "Just updating everyone's records."

She smiled, "Oh."

"Yes." There was a pause of awkward silence after that, but Juan broke it, "Well, I wanted to meet with you because I have a big announcement for you!"

"O-oh?" Abril asked trying not to sound so nervous.

"Unfortunately Victor is leaving us at the end of this season to go to Manchester City and become their head doctor." Juan announced.

Abril was not expecting that, but if she was handed the opportunity, she would also take it.

"Really?"

"Mhm. So you've been working with us for the whole season and you know the team better than anyone." Juan said, "I talked to Florentino about this and he said that it would be wise of me to hire you as assistant physician for the next season and replace Victor."

Abril felt as though a rock had been lifted off her shoulders. A very big rock at that.

"Would you like to take the job? I mean, we'd discuss what you'd get paid and your contract later on, but would you be willing to do it?" He asked placing his glasses on the desk.

"Of course. I would love to be Assistant Physician."

'Crap. What about Cristiano and the baby?' She thought. But then she practically heard Cristiano in her head to stop worrying.

Cristiano has a plan.

But what does it consist of?